The Great Flood Monument

Just to give you all the heads up. A huge stone has been placed by the Don down at the Riverside next to Vulcan House. The stone which is several foot in height is supposed to be a marker to show the height of the flood waters. Around the bottom of the stone is the name of every individual who perished. If you are walking down that part of the city then definitely worth stopping off to read and reflect.

AO.

Pity they couldn't have put it closer to the Dale Dyke, I would have thought Bradfield, Loxley or Malin Bridge would have been a more fitting location.

I was disappointed when I went walking up to Dale Dyke and saw a small and almost missable memorial. I would have thought that there would have been something like the one I mentioned up there.

I was disappointed when I went walking up to Dale Dyke and saw a small and almost missable memorial. I would have thought that there would have been something like the one I mentioned up there.

Was that one of the CLOB stones that are marker points to show where the original dam was?

This site about the flood is brilliant - http://mick-armitage.staff.shef.ac.uk/sheffield/flood.html

There used to be a small brass plate indicating the flood level at a firm I worked at, in 1976, on Mowbray St. Neepsend; a hundred yards up from Corporation St.

When I went back to see it eighteen months ago it had gone. As I remember it was about five feet high, but that must already have been 10ft - 15ft above the river level.

Archived