GAP - in town, what's happened to it?

Has the one at Meadowhall not downsized recently?

Also, it seems to me the excuses the give for the unit not being suitable for retail are just that - excuses. I'm making a guess that GAP already have a deal with Barcleys that the bank can take over it's old stores. Both the Hull and Leicester stores that have closed are becomming (/have become) Barcleys... :suspect:

(I don't buy the complaint about the unit not being right).

That is the reason why they couldn't find a replacement retailer, hence it becoming a bank. It's probably not the whole reason that GAP have given up the ghost, but it certainly wasn't helping.

That is the reason why they couldn't find a replacement retailer, hence it becoming a bank. It's probably not the whole reason that GAP have given up the ghost, but it certainly wasn't helping.

See my post above ^^ It seems many of the closing stores are becomming Barcleys...

The unit was built to fit GAP not very long ago. It's possibly the most 'prime' unit in the city centre and will become moreso after the completion of Sevenstone. I would be surprised if they couldn't find a retailer to fill it (and if they couldn't it would be more a problem with the state of Sheffields current retail offering than the unit itself)

Isn't there one at Meadowhall now? That may have a baring on the decision to close the city centre shop if there is.

I may be wrong or it may have been there for years. I don't go to meadowhall very often.

There's been one for years, but I never go to Meadowhal, I hate the place. Besides it doesn't have a John Lewis or TKMaxx.

See my post above ^^ It seems many of the closing stores are becomming Barcleys...

The unit was built to fit GAP not very long ago. It's possibly the most 'prime' unit in the city centre and will become moreso after the completion of Sevenstone. I would be surprised if they couldn't find a retailer to fill it (and if they couldn't it would be more a problem with the state of Sheffields current retail offering than the unit itself)

Its not that prime, edge of prime maybe, Fargate being prime. Its also irregularly shaped and not that big on ground floor space. Its not what most retailers want. They want a nice rectangle- lots cheaper to fit out and more effective trading space.

you never know - if it doesn't become a bank and it is so apparently unattractive to big retailers we might find an independant shop taking it on?

In todays credit crunch world where businesses are laying off staff left right and centre, i can't imagine someone willing to take it on?

No it wasn't! It used to be a GAME store, and before that something else. The building's been there for decades.

I know the buildings been there for decades (at least), but did they not completely refit the inside of it like they did with Carmel house recently?

Fair call theripsaw I suppose. Its a sad reflection on the demand for retail space in Sheffield city centre. If there were companies seriously looking for space they would happily take the GAP unit and work with it to what they want (there would be no question about this happening with a prime unit in Leeds, Manchester, Birmingham etc.)

Good kiddies' clothes sales though, it's the only time I ever bought anything.

If I want 'posh' kiddies stuff I have a look in Monsoon. Only a 'look' though...then I get down to Primark :D Actually, I'm fond of Boots clothes right now - very stylish and reasonable!

That Gap shop was horrid to shop in though - no space on the main floor so you were constantly trailing up and down in the lift. Though at least they had one, unlike that scruffy, nasty Next on Fargate.

If I want 'posh' kiddies stuff I have a look in Monsoon. Only a 'look' though...then I get down to Primark :D Actually, I'm fond of Boots clothes right now - very stylish and reasonable!

That Gap shop was horrid to shop in though - no space on the main floor so you were constantly trailing up and down in the lift. Though at least they had one, unlike that scruffy, nasty Next on Fargate.

That Next on Fargate is the pits. Fancy putting kiddies' clothes downstairs when there's no lift?:loopy:

I honestly never thought there was a problem with GAP. I always bought my son's jeans from there in the sale. Other than that everything else comes from Next Clearance or TKMaxx.