GAP - in town, what's happened to it?

Well Gap having been having trouble for a number of years remember they used to have 2 big units in Meadowhall thry are down to one now and rumour is thats not doing the business. Think Gap days are over they are out of touch with what people want.

Yeah, it's shut down completely. I think GAP are having problems anyway (I don't buy the complaint about the unit not being right). They've also closed stores in Hull and Leicester and are looking to close in other locations too...

The unit isn't great for retail - it has a lot of space upstairs, but upstairs space is basically useless because people are lazy! The rents in town are higher too - I understand Fat Face makes more in it's (smaller) Ecclesall Road store than the one in town because the rates and rent are so high in town, and the unit has upstairs space, which is just not good selling space. It is alo cut off from the rest of Fargate by Pinstone Street, which isn't ideal for drawing in the casual shopper - but a people going to their bank will make the effort.

I guess GAP are downsizing, and first to go are the least profitable stores. In Leicester as in Sheffield they have more than one store though - I lived in Leicester for three years and never went in the town one, but went to the out of town one at Fosse Park quite a few times.

I don't shop there but it is typical of Sheffield that it cannot support a shop like this but put a Next Clearance, Primark or Greggs there and most Sheffield people would love it.

And people wonder why HN, Selfridges etc won't open up in Sheffield.

It will prob be a £1 shop....also another Sheffield treasure.

Go to Chesterfield.......its much nicer :0)

• 7 years later...

I was gutted when the Fargate Gap closed as I love their jeans and other denims. Never had much luck with Meadowhell (always every size available bar the one I wanted) and therefore bought much less. Preferred the one in Nottingham Victoria Centre, but that closed a year or two back. Knew Meadowhell was closing as the company sent me an e-mail and voucher to spend online. I reckon they are going to be pretty much only online now as I also don't recall seeing the shop they used to have in Paris when I was there recently.

My friend liked gap very much as well. She also orders online from them but then returns some of it back to the shop in meadowhall.

Personally I preferred their jeans quality over other places but only used to get them in the sales. There is cheap stuff out there in other places made with thinner cheaper materials that will wear and tear after few weeks walking.

Shefstealth

There was no point starting a new topic on this as it is not really important enough to start a new topic over and just a continuance of the same thing.

Edited by dutch