Sheffield & Ecclesall Co-op

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Is there absolutely no-one out there who worked at the old S&E Arcade back in the early 1960s. I was a window dresser back then and worked with Winifred, Margaret, Ann (who now lives in Seattle) and a chap named Michael Hill. I also remember so many of the people who worked in the shop too numerous to list here. Where are you all??????

Grannypat

What happened to the big ceramic rosettes that topped the pillars on the front of the S&E building on Ecclesall Road?

They were preserved and on display in the foyer of the Safeway supermarket which was built on the site of the demolished S&E building, but they disappeared when it was converted to Somerfield or the Waitrose which it is now.

We had our wedding at the S&E Jacobean Rooms at the bottom of Ecclesall Road,in 1967 - at the time it was very unusual to have a wedding on Thursday but we didn't want everyone we invited to come - especially bringing all the children!!!!

A good friend of mine worked there in 60s he was the electrician and did all the work on the coop branches up to him retiring about 10 years ago his name is Terry Vickers.

I remember Terry Vickers.

I worked in the TV and Appliance service department

in the 60s. We were in the Arcade then moved to the new building on

Clarence Lane.

• 4 years later...

Hi Wolseley,

I remember Margaret very well but I'm sorry to say that I can't tell you anything about what happened to her. She left and was replaced by Wendy but I just can't remember why she left. I think she was going to be married but I'm not sure. Can you remember what her surname was? It may be possible to trace her if you can.

Grannypat

Hi Wolseley,

It was Margaret who lived at Woodseats. I went to her house a few times. It was just off Derbyshire Lane at the top of Millmount Road. I can't remember the name of her fiance or where he lived.

If it should come back to you, what her surname was, let me know. I have the feeling that it began with an N.

Grannypat

• 4 weeks later...
A good friend of mine worked there in 60s he was the electrician and did all the work on the coop branches up to him retiring about 10 years ago his name is Terry Vickers.

I remember Terry well, I worked for the S&E from 1976 to early 80s, Terry always had a good tale to tell.

• 2 years later...
On 27/12/2011 at 11:37, grannypat said:

Hi,

Wow, no replies for 3 years and now two. Terrific. I was there as a window dresser from 1962 to 66 approx. I did know one or two of the milkmen from Archer Road but I expect it will be unlikely that I knew your dad but you never know. Some names I remember are Barbara Ball (she joined the Navy) Christine Townsend, Hazel Welch, Wendy Barford, Michael Wootten( I think that was his surname). Dear old Mr Bunting used to be in the dispatch department. David Smith, Gillian and Carol on ladies stockings, Mr Hobson and Elaine on men's department. Mrs Maisie Powell on ladies knitwear, Miss Askham who commited suicide, Pam on ladies underwear, Miss Langley on childrens clothes.Mr Clark was in charge of the window dressing department. Dave Athorn was a milkman from Archer Road. Do any of these names ring a bell????

Granny Pat

Hello Granny Pat hope you are still out there & keeping well.

I used to work for Mrs Powell. Her and her Husband Bill had the Disc Jockey cafe on London Rd opposite T CHarrisons

I worked there after school, weekends and school holidays. Happy days