70th Anniversary of the "Beano" Comic this week

In the 1950s the Dandy and Beano came out every week (the Dandy on Tuesdays and the Beano on Thursdays) but during the war they came out on alternate weeks as an austerity measure - this site http://www.comicsuk.co.uk/ComicInformationPages/DandyPages/DandyHomePage.asp gives a few details:

Before The Dandy's second birthday, War had broken out across Europe. City children were evacuated to the country and rationing, including paper, was in force. In fact, it wasn't until two years into the war that both The Dandy and The Beano were affected. 6th September 1941 was the last weekly issue of The Dandy, and it wasn't to be published that way again until the 30th July 1949 issue. During this time, it alternated weekly publication with The Beano.

I read the Dandy and Beano in the 1960's (from about 1962 to 1967 I guess) when I went round to my Aunties on Vickers Road every Wednesday lunchtime. Wonderful stuff! In those days on the cover of the Dandy I think it was Korky the Kat and the Beano had Desperate Dan. I loved 'em!

All these cartoon characters keep drifting in and out of the memory. Anybody remember Lord Snooty and his Pals? I'm sure he was featured in the 'Beano.'

As for the Radio Fun, I remember Jewell and Warris, Derek Roy, Reg (proper poorly) Dixon, and Arthur English (Prince of the Wideboys).

Archived