The sheffield facts thread.

meer

Anyone want to add any of the hearsay or rumours or 'amazing facts' they've heard about sheffield/s.yorks?

to start the ball rolling:

Sheffield has the most parks of any city in Britain.

Sheffield had the first football club (but who did they play against?)

Wath upon dearne near Rotherham has the most teenage mothers of anywhere in Europe.

Sheffield had the first drive thru restaurant in britain.

I don't know if any of these are true, I've just heard them said over the years.

Liverpool had the first drive through bank. It was a Barclays. I watched them building it with interest.....

It was open for less than an hour :D they had a withdrawral from 'Sawn-off Shotguns 'R' Us' :mad:

when i was little and went for a wee my mam used to always say hurry up are ya havin a sheffield flood :suspect: it was only when i moved to sheffield i actually knew there was a real sheffield flood :hihi: .

BTW i say to mine oi oi hurry up austin :hihi:

Hillsborough cantelever stand is the first such design in the world, with a large stand with no pillars in the way in a sports stadium.

--and to give balance to both halves of the city--

Brammall lane was the first ground to have floodlit sport

Sheffield has more magpies than any other city.

Sheffield has the highest proportion of pensioners in any british city

The arts tower is the tallest university building in europe.

The yorkshire county cricket club was formed in the centre of sheffield.

The Plaque on dore green [now part of sheffield] commemorates the battle between the last two saxon kings which unified the country of England, so you could even say at a stretch that England came in to being in sheffield! >>

http://www.borracho.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Sheff/plaques/england.html

Parson cross was the biggest council estate in britain when it was built.

The flying squad [AKA the Sweeny!] was invented in sheffield in 1925 to take care of the sheffield gangs

The showroom is the largest independant cinema complex outside London

Archived