The sheffield facts thread.

meer

Sheffield is the fourth largest city in England by population, 5th largest in the UK (London, Birmingham, Leeds & Glasgow are ahead of Sheffield).

It's built on seven hills, same as Rome.

Meadowhall was Europe's largest shopping centre for a while, but I'm sure it's now been overtaken.

I'm sure I've heard that it's the city with the most green space in the UK, although this probably has something to do with the fact that, driving in from the Peak District on the A57, you pass a sign informing you that you're in Sheffield about 5 miles before you actually reach anything that could even vaguely be called urban.

Originally posted by muddycoffee

The flying squad [AKA the Sweeny!] was invented in sheffield in 1925 to take care of the sheffield gangs

And the police box (now better known as the Tardis) was invented in Sheffield by the same Chief Constable, Sillito:thumbsup:

I've heard the same qoute about Sheffeld having either the most greenspace (Inc Trees) or parks in britian, and in the top 10 of Europe. I also think thats based on population size.

And probably if your town starts with the Letter 'S' so Birmingham losses. haha

when I was in camera we did a survey on the pubs of sheffield and sheffield as got more pubs than anyone else I would think that it would have had a damm sight more if they hadnt changed attercliffe common because there was a fair few on there,they use to say that if you started from the plummbers at tinsley had a half in every pub on the cliffe you would never get to the wicker arches as there was that many ale houses to be had.sheffield had got the biggest forging press it was in B.S.C thats corus to you and me the size of it was 9.000 tonnes, firth browns was only 6.000 tonnes they use to do all the big crank shafts and die bars at B.S.C. I use to work there when I first left school you could stand near them white hot ingots what they used for forging and they were big buggers.

Sheffield hold the record for longest lasting rainbow.

Hyde Park flat is the largest listed building in Europe.

Roger and out was/is the world strongest beer.[unsure of status]

First British person in space is from Sheffield.

has Europe's largest outdoor artificial ski resort.

Originally posted by Kristian

Surely Manchester figures in here somewhere Dan? :huh:

Nope, the City of Manchester is a lot smaller than Sheffield, although Greater Manchester is a lot larger.

Originally posted by bigkev

sheffield as got more pubs than anyone else

I'm sure I remember somebody saying the same thing about York, or maybe that was just pubs per head of population. There certainly seem to be a lot of boarded-up pubs in Sheffield, one of the first things that struck me when I moved up here.

You all forgot the most important fact that there is about sheffield/

It has an AMAZING T'internet forum - that easily beats the nearest competition

(Geoff, PM me and I'll let you know the address to send the forum t-shirt to...................):thumbsup:

Archived