The sheffield facts thread.

meer

Originally posted by LoopyLou

It has an AMAZING T'internet forum - that easily beats the nearest competition

Erm... what's a the internet forum?

All of the grammar threads on here recently seem to have missed the one that really winds me up: the incorrect use of "t'" at the beginning of a word in the misguided opinion that it makes things look more Northern. "T'" is an abbreviation for "the". Only use it where you would otherwise use the word "the". And "t't'" is an abbreviation for "to the", so only use it where you want those words (not like those people who say "we're going to t't'pub", which means "we're going to to the pub")

It is called t'internet - "the internet". But it's not called "an t'tinternet forum" - "an the internet forum". A noun should only have one article, indefinite ("a", "an" or "some") or definite ("the"). You can have a something or the something, but not a the something.

Originally posted by DanSumption

It is called t'internet - "the internet". But it's not called "an t'tinternet forum" - "an the internet forum". A noun should only have one article, indefinite ("a", "an" or "some") or definite ("the"). You can have a something or the something, but not a the something.

And if folk want to call it the t'internet tough ttity like or leave it it's sod all to do with you how they want to spell it, the idea of this forum is to make yourself understood and the poster does that quite well if you don't like it sling your hook and post elsewhere. You Pedantic chuff :rant: :rant: :rant:

Originally posted by DanSumption

Erm... what's a the internet forum?

All of the grammar threads on here recently seem to have missed the one that really winds me up: the incorrect use of "t'" at the beginning of a word in the misguided opinion that it makes things look more Northern. "T'" is an abbreviation for "the". Only use it where you would otherwise use the word "the". And "t't'" is an abbreviation for "to the", so only use it where you want those words (not like those people who say "we're going to t't'pub", which means "we're going to to the pub")

i think we have a future moderator on board........hail jobsworth:hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: :hihi:

have a day off mate:rolleyes:

Originally posted by owdlad

if you don't like it sling your hook and post elsewhere. You Pedantic chuff :rant: :rant: :rant:

Ooo, get you Mrs!

Sorry to come across quite so arsey, I normally couldn't give a toss how people spell, how bad their grammar is, and I've seen so many threads critical of peoples' spelling/grammar on here of late which have wound me up no end. But there is just one thing in this field which does annoy me, and that's when people think that by sticking a "T" in front of everything it makes them sound Northern, without even understanding what the "T" means.

Ah sod it, I couldn't care less. Sorry to come down heavy like that, LoopyLou. (Just... DON'T DO IT AGAIN :D)

PS. What do you expect? I'm a Southerner.

Archived