Cherrytree orphanage

it took me years to overcome such degradation ihad been put through,and one thing that still gets to me is the fact we had to salute the committee members when we saw them out and about failure resulted in PUNISHMENT if it was the chairman god help you of course some got a name like me,and got blamed for things did not even know about School was bad at times because of being an orphanage boy or girl

I forgot to mention 'Gregory' in my previous dispatches,does anyone know what this is ? it is a powder that we were given for punishment and you nearly choke to death. I am pleased in believing that, Patrica Ann, did not suffer in the same manner I did::

hi my name is sandra and i lived at cherrytree in 1956 and i loved it there the matron at that time was mrs mason and then mrs moore the house mothers ther were miss chester miss goundry miss shaw and soome of the children ther at that time was margaret woolen susan watson ian watson micheal reynolds moreen wathall and sylvia wathall and ian archibald does any body know the wre abouts of any of the kids if so i would love to her from them and the best house mother was mrs archibald some of my good times were at cherrytree hope some one gets in thouch soon also my twin sisters name was called marie sandy d

• 8 months later...
Hi sasha 555 I was in cherrytree orphanage from 1948 - 1954. The orphanage was what is now the Cheshire Home just down the lane from the present Cherrytree childrens home. We did not have "house mothers" but a matron called Miss Wilson and various other staff. The old orphanage where I was closed in/ around 1960 when the new one was built which is still there near the Cheshire Home. I remember all the other children and staff from the old home but know nothing of the new one.

We are Susan and Ian Watson. Cherrytree 1949/1960.We also remember Miss Wilson. We were both there from being babies till being teenagers. At the time of leaving we were the longest serving "inmates" at the time! I think we probably still hold the record!! Happy memories. We both went back for a nostalgic visit, when it was already a Cheshire Home, and the new Cherrytree was built in the field at the back. They let us wander around. A member of staff told us that they get a lot of old boys and girls returning to see the place. Some from Australia. All saying they remember happy times. Do you see anyone from those days? Susan and Ian (Watson)

hi my name is sandra and i lived at cherrytree in 1956 and i loved it there the matron at that time was mrs mason and then mrs moore the house mothers ther were miss chester miss goundry miss shaw and soome of the children ther at that time was margaret woolen susan watson ian watson micheal reynolds moreen wathall and sylvia wathall and ian archibald does any body know the wre abouts of any of the kids if so i would love to her from them and the best house mother was mrs archibald some of my good times were at cherrytree hope some one gets in thouch soon also my twin sisters name was called marie sandy d

Ian and Susan Watson here! We have LOADS of memories about Cherrytree. We also remember lots of the children that used to be there at the same time as us 1949/1960.The Matron that was there when we left was Mrs Moore. I remember her daughter Janet and her husband Malcome who used to come and see us. Holidays at Butlins. Tea with members of the round table. BIG bonfire nights. Great Christmas Days.Singing Carols outside the dormatries! We were happy! ( Till we left, but that's another story!) Michael Reynolds, Patrick, David Kemp Stuart Raw Celia Reynolds. John James. Margaret Woollen etc. Any news of anyone from that 'era'? From Susan and Ian Watson

Hi Ian & Susan Watson, Do you remember me - Patricia Woodcock? I remember you both very well along with Celia, Pauline, Patrick Reynolds, Catherine & Dorothy Dixon. The staff I remember are Miss Wilson(matron) miss Brown, miss Walker. Not too sure about the others. I was there from 1948 - 1954 & was 11 when I left & went to Halifax to be with my mum. I have mostly good memories of the home but it seems you had much better times after I was there. I don't have any contact with others who were there when I was so it is good to hear from you. Do tell me all about yourselves.

Regards Patricia Ann

Hi Ian & Susan Watson, Do you remember me - Patricia Woodcock? I remember you both very well along with Celia, Pauline, Patrick Reynolds, Catherine & Dorothy Dixon. The staff I remember are Miss Wilson(matron) miss Brown, miss Walker. Not too sure about the others. I was there from 1948 - 1954 & was 11 when I left & went to Halifax to be with my mum. I have mostly good memories of the home but it seems you had much better times after I was there. I don't have any contact with others who were there when I was so it is good to hear from you. Do tell me all about yourselves.

Regards Patricia Ann

Dear Patricia, Great to hear from you. My brother and I went to cherrytree in 1949. Our mother had died. I was only 18 months old and my brother Ian was two and a half. So in 1954 I was only seven!But your name is familiar. We left when we were 12 & 13 respectively.I didn't want to give the impression that it was all roses at Cherrytree, but on the whole I liked Totley Primary School, and life at the home was the only thing we knew! Dad came to visit every visiting day, and he remarried in 1953. They never came to fetch us, but we were quite happy to remain there. Anyway we went 'home' in 1960. After leaving school, Ian joined the army (like most of the lads), & he saw Michael, Dave Stuart and John James, and I came to Nottingham( at 15) to live in at my place of work. I married and have been here ever since! Ian also lives here in Nottingham, not far from us. Tell us your news! Sue and Ian

Hello Susan good to hear from you again! As I mentioned before, I left Cherrytree and went to live with my mum & stepfather in Halifax. I got married in 1967 and moved to York in 1973. We have 3 children & 6 grandchildren living in different parts of the country. Our daughter, having visited the Chesire Home some years ago urged me to write about my time there as a child. I am now in the process of doing this. I have a copy of the history of Cherrytree and also copies of AGM reports from 1949 - 1960. I would be happy to send you copies if you wish.

Best wishes Patricia

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Susan Gruella (Susan and Ian Watson) , I remember you both from my time as house-mother,'Miss Chester' 1956-1960, as well as all the staff and children from that time. Ian might recall me singing the songs badly from My Fair Lady. I haven't seen any mention within the forum yet of the Crabtree family,Stephen and Susan and maybe Harry? Can you remember the horse, Flash, named after the cleaning product. Mr Mason was a rep for the company. I enjoyed my time working at Cherrytree. It was more relaxed when Mrs Moore took over and was a happy home in my memory. Regards, Susan Bell.