The Global Warming Megathread

Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?

• Absolutely, unequivocally.
    • Maybe, i need more evidence
    • Not at all, it's all made up!
    • Whats global warming?

Who cares? By the time global warming has any significant effect we'll all be dead.

Anotherpost disagreeing with you Basil, I'm afraid. There are changes happening now and there will be many more in our lifetimes, some of them really rather unpleasantly significant - freak weather, coastal flooding etc...

The people who have know knowledge on the effects of global warming may in the future not be so flippant regarding the long term effects.Firstly the rising sea levels and increasing hurricane strength"due to sea temps rising"altho important are nothing compared to the disaster awaiting in the desert areas of the world.With large displacement of rain belts in these areas the current drought conditions there would be nothing to what the future conditions would bring.Millions of people with know rains at all would mean the migration of people on a scale never seen before.Places like Bangladesh because of there low sea level would vanish along with a lot of pacific islands.Finally theres the paradox that global warming brings,an ice age.Has the sea ice melts to the north the salinty of the sea becomes modified and affects the flow of warm waters from the gulf stream to northern latitudes.If this happens then the atlantic would cool down and there goes our warm british isles.Not something to joke about really GW is it.:)

The people who have know knowledge on the effects of global warming may in the future not be so flippant regarding the long term effects.Firstly the rising sea levels and increasing hurricane strength"due to sea temps rising"altho important are nothing compared to the disaster awaiting in the desert areas of the world.With large displacement of rain belts in these areas the current drought conditions there would be nothing to what the future conditions would bring.Millions of people with know rains at all would mean the migration of people on a scale never seen before.Places like Bangladesh because of there low sea level would vanish along with a lot of pacific islands.Finally theres the paradox that global warming brings,an ice age.Has the sea ice melts to the north the salinty of the sea becomes modified and affects the flow of warm waters from the gulf stream to northern latitudes.If this happens then the atlantic would cool down and there goes our warm british isles.Not something to joke about really GW is it.:)

Nice post brooksy. It's not just Bangladesh - Norfolk would history, as would parts of Lincolnshire.

my question is how do we know that we are definately absolutely responsible for global warming?

there is no comparitive evidence to say we are. at best its an educated guess that its our fault

It is all theory, yes. So is evolution etc.

However the evidence fits the hypothosis, and I for one feel better to err on the side of caution and try to do something about it now rather than leave it til it's too late simply because it is 'only a hypothosis'.

• 4 weeks later...

Whenever we hear about global warming, we always hear the negatives

ie, we all going to die, or, the world will melt

But, for Sheffield what are the plus points?

1) The weather, fantastic, who needs to go abroad for a suntan?

2) As our winters get warmer, we will not need to spend as much money on heating/keeping warm, something that will become a major factor when we become pensioners (some people in their 20's now, will prob may still be paying off mortgages by then), so any savings will be welcome

3) Skantly clad females

4) Low lying areas near the coast, will be under water. But then we need to look at the positives, it will only be 80 miles to get to the seaside, rather than 100 miles now, saving on petrol and time.

So lets embrace global warming

My god. I can't believe the stupidity of this thread. The negative effects of global warming definately outway any positives, and in my opinion there is no positives!

Now I'm not normally one to be negative on peoples opinions but seriously, the effects that global warming is going to have on everyone is no laughing matter! :rant: