The Global Warming Megathread

Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe human inflicted climate change is real?

• Absolutely, unequivocally.
    • Maybe, i need more evidence
    • Not at all, it's all made up!
    • Whats global warming?

This potentially is a sign of global warming, the high winds. Are you convinced that leaving your car at home is the way forward?

Yeah. It certainly seems that way.

I mean, when I looked out of the window today and noticed the way it was howling with wind, and the rain was coming down in sheets, I thought to myself "hmm, today I should leave the car at home. I should walk to the station and get drenched, then I should stand waiting at the station for up to forty minutes whilst I wait for the slow train into sheffield to trundle along. Then I should get on the slow, overcrowded, stuffy train and jostle for loose change with which to pay the conductor as he squeezes past me. After that I should get off the train, and walk around the (albeit renovated) station for a while to find the train to Chesterfield. I should then get on that, and sit on there - if I'm lucky - for another 15 mins before getting off in Chesterfield. Then I should either hunt around for a bus, which might take me god-knows-where, or walk for 20 minutes through more high wind and sheeting rain before I actually get to work 15 minutes later than if I'd have taken the car."

Of course, I couldn't do any of that, because, even if I really wanted to put myself through that hell, I'd have had to have gotten up half an hour earlier to start doing it.

So, strangely enough, I took the car.

according to the met office, this isnt unusual weather - it was as bad as this in 1990, 1987 .... have a look at the met office website - their report for todays winds show when/where winds this widespread and as bad were reported.

does this mean its down to global warming? dunno ... but i took my car - i didnt want to risk my little boy disappearing in a gust of wind again!! (he ran out to the car this morning and promptly shot off down the road, landing on his bum outside next door but ones drive :) he was shcoked, but unhurt and eventually saw the funny side of it :)

Today was a good day to leave thr car at home, - if only to avoid being squished by a toppling high-sided vehicle. OTOH many train companies thought it too dangerous to venture out (wind on the rails don't-you-know) :rolleyes:

edit: just thought that GW will be another good excuse for train and bus companies to further reduce services, - dong their bit to reduce CO2 emmissions !!

This potentially is a sign of global warming, the high winds. Are you convinced that leaving your car at home is the way forward?

this might sound rather selfish, but after getting soaked to the boxers on the way home, i am now more likly than ever to take the car into work.

i already do 'my bit' for the enviroment, recycle most household waste and other assorted stuff.

but after a long days work, i dont want to get wet, no matter how much it costs.

mmm.... just as I thought. Interestly I did put this thread up deliberatly to get the reactions, I wanted.

I myself could have used the bus today, now let me think.

1) Almost hurricane conditions

2) Shocking rain.

3) wait for a bus in the above 2 condidtions, freezing my googies off

4) get off the bus in town

5) Then endure a 25 minute walk in the hurricane/rain.

6) Clothes absolutly drenched, while at work, freezing cold

mmmm, now let me think.

My cars parked outside my home.... turn the ignition key, put the heater on and then a 10 minite drive to work, arrive bone dry and warm and in a civilised fashion.

Now contrast my work colleage who let the bus take the strain, a 2 hour journey arriving at work drenched and now coming down with a cold.

It has to the said Public Transport spectacuarly failed today, apparently the Trams failed to run at Hillsborough in the rush hour (is this true)

How the hell are we supposed to get people out of their cars, and deal with the monster of Global Warming if there is no alternative?

How the hell are we supposed to get people out of their cars, and deal with the monster of Global Warming if there is no alternative?

Apparently we just force up the cost of driving so much that many people can't any more. That leaves the roads free for the rich and the law-breakers.

Everyone's a winner.

mmm.... just as I thought. Interestly I did put this thread up deliberatly to get the reactions, I wanted.

I myself could have used the bus today, now let me think.

1) Almost hurricane conditions

If you know that little about weather you are automatically disqualified from passing an opinion. Go learn some basic, elementary details on the subject first, please?

People will only believe global warming is happening when the world becomes totally screwed. People won't stop using their cars unless there is an alternative...currently the alternative is unreliable, doesn't run where it needs to and is expensive. People are also far more selfish than they ever have been and more interested in themselves than the community as a whole.

Basically the planet is screwed and so are we.

Just one opinion of course ;)

No, I don't think this has anything to do with Global Warming.

Also, I don't think Britain should even care for trying to prevent global warming domestically. We contribute 5pc of emissions worldwide. Even if we were to go completely carbon free, China and India's growth would have made it completely irrelevant. It's a shame i know.