The Bowery, Devonshire Street, Sheffield..

deano_dq

Havin been in a couple of time to see what all the fus was a bout ive gotta say what a let down. the decor is rubbish, and as for the drink selection.. only red stripe on draft? whats that all about?

QUOTE=jamesogt;4126656]It is on almost all city centre licensed venues, that they must employ door staff.

How come the green room 100 yards away doesnt need them then? its more to do with the audience you aim at than anything. The Bowery is aimed at wanabes, that attracts idiots, hence they need doof staff so will not achieve the selective crowd they claim to be aimed at in anyway.

It's going to be if not already is just another bar on the west st / dev street crawl to be avoided by those not wanting th meat market atmosphere.

Havin been in a couple of time to see what all the fus was a bout ive gotta say what a let down. the decor is rubbish, and as for the drink selection.. only red stripe on draft? whats that all about?

It's going to be if not already is just another bar on the west st / dev street crawl to be avoided by those not wanting th meat market atmosphere.

Much as I love draught red stripe I'm not dressing-up and kissing the arses of bonehead doormen (with the requisit "no trainers", "no t-shirts", "no whatever" reasons for not letting you in) to get to it, I can't be bothered.

I was wondering about the name. Is it a reference to the street in Manhattan noted for cheap hotels frequented by homeless derelicts or is it in tribute to Leigh Bowery, flamboyant fashion guru who did notorious shows where he did public enamas?

According to a post earlier on in this thread, it's named after the area in Manhattan.

I only heard about the place for the first time yesterday as I've had my head up my backside with work for weeks and weeks, and I was really stunned at the coincidence that a bar has just opened in Sheffield with the name "The Bowery".

I have recently formed a publishing company in order to publish my novels, and the first is already listed on amazon and will be available to buy in a couple of weeks - it's called Mother-in-Law, Son-in-Law. Although the novel is set in Hertfordshire and London, it is, nevertheless, a novel coming out of Sheffield from a Sheffield publishing company.

And the fetish club that three of the characters in the novel frequent is called...tarumtara....The Bowery! I wrote this novel back in March and knew absolutely nothing about plans for the Sheffield bar. I always planned to name the club in my novel The Bowery as a tribute to Leigh Bowery whom you've mentioned, Alastair. And the shop where The Bowery punters buy their fetish gear is called Leighsh as another tribute to Leigh.

I didn't know Leigh Bowery but of course I remember seeing him around clubs during the pre-acid London music/club scene of the early eighties and he was...well...a legend. An artist. Brilliant.

Anyway, what a blooming coincidence, eh? Great minds think alike. :partyhat:

A bit off topic, but I was crossing Division Street yesterday afternoon to poke my nose through the door of The Bowery and I nearly got run over by a ned at the wheel of a white hatchback which came hurtling round the corner of Fitzwilliam Street and had to swerve to avoid hitting me. That is the third closest I've ever come to death in my life and I was really shaken up.

All coz The Bowery was named the same as The Bowery in my book. Life is stranger than fiction. :|

As to people's opinions on this thread. Look, any Yorkshire drinking establishment that wants to be taken seriously needs to serve well kept real ale. Real ale is the new black and some of us have been wearing black for decades. I had to practically beat Justin Rowntree (Silversmiths proprietor) over the head before he finally started stocking real ale. Actually Gordon Ramsey probably finally convinced him as Justin never listens to a word I say. :hihi:

If real ale isn't possible, then certainly a good selection of draught lagers and beers is a must. Bottle-only bars attract the fake tan, false nail brigade. Fact. Nowt wrong with fake tan and false nails btw if that's what floats your boat but I get the impression the proprietors of The Bowery are aiming for summat a little more classy.

Thought you guys may like to know whats going on with The Bowery.....

The Bowery, situated on Devonshire St (opposite the West One complex) is a brand-new, custom built bar owned and managed by ex-Arctic Monkeys bassist Andy Nicholson, James O'Hara of successful Sheffield club night, 'Threads.' and Michael Dean, manager of DQ and co-promoter of Threads.

The Bowery will be a hang-out for people who want to avoid the meat-market nonsense of many City centre bars, creating a relaxed and friendly atmosphere with great music, food and drinks.

It'll be like going to your favourite local boozer, but in the centre of town.

Inspiration for the bar's name came from the legendary Bowery area of New York which became notorious for its saloons and gambling dens.

The Bowery bar will be situated on the ground floor of the building whilst the first floor will be occupied by the flagship store for UK fashion label, Supreme Being.

The shop will be managed by Matt Helders of the Arctic Monkeys and will stock exclusive clothing and accessories from a range of hand picked labels.

The Bowery opens to the public on Saturday 20th September 2008 with Toddla T, Matt Helders, Deano, O'Hara and Andy Nicholson. It will then open daily from 10am with a deli-style daytime menu offering sandwiches and snacks sourced from Yorkshire outlets.

In the evening the 200 capacity bar will host live acoustic sessions, quiz nights and DJ sets from a handpicked selection of the Steel City's finest DJs with occasional special national and international guests dropping in for unannounced performances.

For more information please contact..

TheBowerySheffield@googlemail.com

http://www.20bo09we08ry.com

All the best looks good Deano ;)

Much as I love draught red stripe I'm not dressing-up and kissing the arses of bonehead doormen (with the requisit "no trainers", "no t-shirts", "no whatever" reasons for not letting you in) to get to it, I can't be bothered.

Why is it that its always the doormans fault when people cant get in anywhere, Im sure they have to go on what the management say, most of the bars in sheffield have a no trainers etc...policy.

, Im sure they have to go on what the management say, most of the bars in sheffield have a no trainers etc...policy.

Erm no they don't at all, i can't remember the last time i wore shoes for a night out in Sheff.

I went in last Sunday, can't say I'll be in a hurry to go back.