Is it just me that doesn't have the slightest interest in the Olympics?

I'm so glad there is this thread, I just got a bollocking from another poster 'Grannyannie' or something on another thread berating me for not getting into the spirit of things, and that it'll be something to show in 50 years time & say 'I was there'. I did say in my defence that I was glad our athletes are doing well, but that I would not be dictated how to feel

I was beginning to feel like the only one!

No you're not the only one Mister M. I've even been made out that I must be lying when I said that I haven't seen any of the Olympics (apart from the opening ceremony!) and been berated for not having any interest.

My other half also feels the same as I do as he isn't interested either and he says that some people at work have made him out to be some kind of a saddo just because he doesn't have any interest in the Olympics.

Weird really!

and mine. :roll: The truth is, nothing else is happening in the world, there is a 12 year old girl missing in London, and she's barely had a mention in the media.

I also thought this too. I have noticed on the online news sites that any mention of this comes WAY DOWN the pecking order.

To me this should be the headline news. A child's life to me is far more important than some sporting event.

No you're not the only one Mister M. I've even been made out that I must be lying when I said that I haven't seen any of the Olympics (apart from the opening ceremony!) and been berated for not having any interest.

My other half also feels the same as I do as he isn't interested either and he says that some people at work have made him out to be some kind of a saddo just because he doesn't have any interest in the Olympics.

Weird really!

Well,as you live overseas,you wouldn't be that interested,would you?:hihi:

Us dissenters are in good company, Morrisey has put his tuppence worth in. Although his likening of the Olympics to the spirit of 1939, is perhaps theatrical - it's nice to have an opposite voice to the usual "Yay Team GB, Yay for GB PLC" nonsense

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/morrissey-compares-britain-nazi-germany-games-150836831.html

Imagine what we could have achieved if instead of giving billions to the bankers and had put it into space technology. ........

Then again just the amount spent on the Olympics would go along way, instead we get to see how fast someone can propel themselves round a track on a bike.or how fast a 6ft 5 bloke can run ..Sorry I have never seen the point of sports, except as a bit of fun at the weekend,or for young people to get rid of some agro energy. Apart from giving it to the bankers or buying weapons with it, I cant think of a worse way to waste huge sums of money than the olympics.

Nice in-depth report on the Mars landing by C4 news this evening. How long will the BBC 10 o'Clock news give it? One minute? Two?

This is the kind of thing that we as a species need to be celebrating.

congratulations to NASA. The fact that there were no more than 200,000 viewers, out of a planet of more than 7 billion, watching live on NASA TV is sad. It's events like this that are little jewels of what we're capable of achieving together when we're not killing and stealing from each other, ruining livelihoods and destroying our environment.

Archived