Is it just me that doesn't have the slightest interest in the Olympics?

Getting ready for Olympics, we are still paying for the !*#$#*! student games :rant:

No we're not. We're using the facilities built for the WSG to underwrite further capital projects. :rolleyes:

Several groups are basing themselves here in Sheffield. They're going to be mightily unimpressed if the city isn't ready to receive them.

They may be training at the EIS/ Ponds Forge etc for a couple of weeks before the Olympics, but we get groups doing that on a regular basis (just watch the different tracksuits of overseas teams around Commercial Street). One week its the Ukrainian Badminton Team the next its the Portugeese Water Polo Squad.

As for "not being ready to receive them", I'm not sure what you want the city to do for an event taking place over a hundred miles away? Its the London Olympics, nowt to do with us.

Was London ready for the 1991 World Student Games (that was held in Sheffield)?

Oh, wait, the London Olympics *will* affect us - we are going to lose dozens of modern buses from South Yorkshire for a month this summer (to run "shuttle" services to the Olympic Stadiums), so I might not be able to get my pushchair on the elderly replacement buses. Great.

Other than that, it will affect me as little as the Bejing one did.

I'm doing a project on how Sheffield is preparing for the Olympics. Does anyone know of any projects or events coming up in Sheffield on the theme of the Olympics?

They is a big event in hillsborough park think its the 25thjune 3pm till 7pm got loads ov activities in the park !!!

They may be training at the EIS/ Ponds Forge etc for a couple of weeks before the Olympics, but we get groups doing that on a regular basis (just watch the different tracksuits of overseas teams around Commercial Street). One week its the Ukrainian Badminton Team the next its the Portugeese Water Polo Squad.

As for "not being ready to receive them", I'm not sure what you want the city to do for an event taking place over a hundred miles away? Its the London Olympics, nowt to do with us.

Was London ready for the 1991 World Student Games (that was held in Sheffield)?

You're not exactly comparing like for like there are you?

Archived