Is it just me that doesn't have the slightest interest in the Olympics?

Typical British attitude , put your country down at a time like this, you were all delighted when England won the bid, now listen to you lot, I bet if the Brits won most of the big events you would all be full of praise for your country all of a sudden. :roll:

Typical British attitude , put your country down at a time like this, you were all delighted when England won the bid, now listen to you lot, I bet if the Brits won most of the big events you would all be full of praise for your country all of a sudden. :roll:

No, I didn't jump up and down with excitement when London won the Olympics.

As a Brit it is only natural I would want British athletes to perform well.

But in times of extreme difficulty for tax payers, families and businesses of this country, I can't help but wonder what £20 billion could do to help said people in their struggle to make ends meet.

I'm pretty sure the Olympics and those wanting to watch it will be grateful if a bunch of po-faced, miserable oik's didn't attend and kept their malaise to themselves rather than trying to spread it around.

No, I didn't jump up and down with excitement when London won the Olympics.

As a Brit it is only natural I would want British athletes to perform well.

But in times of extreme difficulty for tax payers, families and businesses of this country, I can't help but wonder what £20 billion could do to help said people in their struggle to make ends meet.

Hindsight is wonderful..7 years ago when we won the bid everything in the garden was rosy...what was the original estimate of costs that the Labour gov. gave out..?

I wasn't "delighted" as you put it. In fact I thought, oh! god! here we go another load of tosh that is going to cost this country billions of pounds that we aren't going to get back.

The "budget" for the Olympics has gone way over - and I wonder who will be paying for the surplus.

All I believe is that at the end of the Olympics all this country will have gained is a load more debt!

Hindsight is wonderful..7 years ago when we won the bid everything in the garden was rosy...what was the original estimate of costs that the Labour gov. gave out..?

The original budget announced by Labour in 2003 was £2.375bn before winning the bid. It is fair to say the cost has risen by £1bn every year since.

I wasn't "delighted" as you put it. In fact I thought, oh! god! here we go another load of tosh that is going to cost this country billions of pounds that we aren't going to get back.

The "budget" for the Olympics has gone way over - and I wonder who will be paying for the surplus.

All I believe is that at the end of the Olympics all this country will have gained is a load more debt!

We'll pay, all of us will, that's how it works, I love England :hihi:

Archived