Buffalo Bill's Circus.

Janner

My reply is taken from an article by Phillip James who instigated and helped return Paul Eagle Star's body back to the Rosebud Reservation. I have the info on a pamplet given to me some years ago by Sheffield Archives.

Which cemetery was he actually buried in? My Grandfather was rarely wrong on these matters.

It's a hell of a long time ago, but I seem to recall that my grandad told me that the native American buried in the cemetery in Attercliffe had died of flu.
Well, maybe this was another native American who died in Sheffield, but it seems clear that Paul Eagle Star died of lockjaw as a complication of the injuries he sustained. All the sources I've found indicate this. Here is a contemporary press report.

• 2 years later...

I am researching family history. My great uncle, Frank Arthur Spencer, was a sharp shooter in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. I have pics of him back in British Columbia and photo's of Chief Sitting Bull. I have photo's of encampments and native people packing up their belongings. I also have his knife, gloves, leather water pouch, etc., plus one or two other items BUT I cannot find any further information to date about his coming to Sheffield with the show. I know it is a long time ago but if anyone can direct me to a site where I may find more information I would be very grateful. The Spencer family lived in Pitsmoor and had a butcher business. My grandfather was called Maurice, another brother was called Willis. Both went to Vancouver for a while. Willis remained but Maurice returned for family reasons. Another name that may help is that Maurice Spencer married Annie Mayor. Thank you for any help you can give.

My Great Uncle George Glossop was hired by Buffalo Bill ( William Cody) to transport luggage fro m the station to the Camp sat Owlerton.

It is interesting to look at the photos of Buffalo Bill's funeral. Iy was said that the entourage accompaning the hearse was the longest ever known in America.

He was buried at the top of a mountain which he owned.

I forget anymore detail but I'm sure these will be on the t'internet somewhere for those who are interested.

Happy Day's PopT

Thanks Pop T. Yes, I've seen the entourage. Amazing. The rather sad thing about Buffalo Bill's Circus is that the "Indians" joined very often as the lesser of two - or more - evils. They knew their culture was dying and that they were very badly represented in the newspapers and films of the time, something that has continued to the present day. Instead of staying back in the States or Canada on reservations they opted to be curiosities in a circus. I could be wrong but I also think they had to say they would become Christians, or maybe it was to escape indoctrination. My great uncles had the utmost respect for them. One great uncle lived with them in Alaska in an igloo for six months, learnt to drive a dog sled and went trapping with them. Anyway, enough of my family.

As regards your Great Uncle George Glossop, did he take any photographs himself? I will have another look at the photo's of the entourage. What a show man! And maybe a con man too.

BadBob. I'll do my best re the scans; I'm quite new at this and right at the outset of getting stuff together. When I've got it sorted out, I'll certainly scan it (if I can!). One pic shows squaws packing up teepees, another shows Chief Sitting Bull, but they are fading now. We used to have some photographs of a totem pole with scalps on (one with a very long shaft of blonde hair) but unfortunately this has gone missing. My great uncle climbed up a tree and hid to take a pic of the Sun Dance, a very sacred ritual. We have a brooch made of two claws from a lynx which leapt out at another of the brothers and we've lost a small bear skin which they shot in Vancouver. Different times. I do wish I'd asked more questions whilst my parents were alive.

Archived