Buffalo Bill's Circus.

Janner

I have received your message about the University and asking how you can forward the information. I have tried to give you my email but been told I have to have five posts

before I can send you a "private message". So, I'll try to chalk up some more posts and then have another go.

I would give my email here but it is not always wise to do so. Thank you and I'll be in contact a.s.a.p.

I'm still learning how to use this site.... With regards 2 blackbirds

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have just found out my copy of the Sheffield History Reporter Iss. No 67, Dec 99/Jan 2000 which was sent to me I seem to recall by the Sheffield Local Studies Library on Shoreham Street, S2.

I also have an email and address from Salt Camp Cabins who were very helpful in directing me to Buechal Memorial Lakota Museum in St Francis before I went out to Montana.

2Blackbirds = let me know if you want any info.

Regards

1891 census

piece 3821 folio 106 page 49

2 Reliance Place

(Sheffield, St George's)

Geo SPENCER Head Marr 52 joiners tool grinder

Selina SPENCER Wife Marr 50

John SPENCER Son Unm 22 stone mason

Selina SPENCER Dau Unm 19

Frank SPENCER Son 14 boots (domestic servant)

Willis SPENCER Son 10 scholar

Maurice SPENCER Son 8

Fred SPENCER Son 6

Geo J NAYLOR Lodger Marr 40 (foreman) stone mason

(all born Sheffield)

Frank, Willis and Maurice were still at home in 1901 (Frank was then a stone mason). So if he did come back to Sheffield with Bill Cody it must have been in 1903.

I can't at the moment see a link to Pitsmoor or a butchers' business - maybe that was in the next generation?

Hugh

On the 1911 census Maurice Spencer aged 28 is living at 194, Ecclesall Road with his mother Selina aged 70 now widowed and his sister Selina aged 38 who's single.

Maurice is an Ivory Carver working for (it looks like) Edward Surco.

According to the information given Selina senior had 10 children, 9 of which still survived.

Regards,

Duffems

Duffems - the information you have sent is all adding very nicely to the facts that I have already to hand. I can't tell you how grateful I am to you and others who are helping me with this. Maurice, the ivory carver, was my paternal grandfather and did, indeed, carve ivory, some of which is in Buckhingham Palace, and some I still have. Thanks again.

Archived