Buffalo Bill's Circus.

Janner

Hillsbro Yes, you are right. He worked for them and was asked for £100 to be made a director of the company. Unfortunately, he couldn't afford it but remained an employee of the company until the son of the owner took over and in the new regime, grandfather was elbowed or dismissed in order to make way for other people. Sounds familiar?

Thank you for your help. I'm very grateful.

The name - here's a scan - seems mostly likely to be Edward Snow, whose ivory carving business is shown in directories on (appropriately enough) Carver Street..:)

Further to hillsbro's observation courtesy of Sheffield indexers:

Snow, Edward (, Ivory, stag & xylonite carver, fluter &c.).

Residing at 92 Carver Street; h. 2 Ranby Road, in 1905.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield &Rotherham.

Snow, Edward (, Carver & fluter).

Residing at 92 Carver Street; h. 2 Ranby Road, in 1911.

Recorded in: Whites Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham - 1911.

Very interesting indeed. I'll have a walk down Carver Street and see what is there these days. Maybe I could call in and demand justice for my poor old grandad!

Earlier this year I took some of his work to the archivist at the Cutlers' Hall. She was very impressed but said that as Sheffield had been such a centre for silver and ivory there was an awful lot of it about and she suggested that rather than keeping it in a box, I should have it all reconditioned and use it for the sheer pleasure of having it.

Again, many thanks.

Very interesting indeed. I'll have a walk down Carver Street and see what is there these days. Maybe I could call in and demand justice for my poor old grandad!

Earlier this year I took some of his work to the archivist at the Cutlers' Hall. She was very impressed but said that as Sheffield had been such a centre for silver and ivory there was an awful lot of it about and she suggested that rather than keeping it in a box, I should have it all reconditioned and use it for the sheer pleasure of having it.

Again, many thanks.

Is there any further information which you require on this family?

Hello Duffems

As I am right at the start of this and am bound to be sidetracked by other issues, I know that the going may be slow but I am determined to try and work my way from the Sheffield origins of the family through to the British Columbia emigres.

I am sure that in the future I'll need more information. You and others have helped me enormously and I will pursue all this links and suggestions.

Heartfelt thanks to you all.

Hello Duffems

As I am right at the start of this and am bound to be sidetracked by other issues, I know that the going may be slow but I am determined to try and work my way from the Sheffield origins of the family through to the British Columbia emigres.

I am sure that in the future I'll need more information. You and others have helped me enormously and I will pursue all this links and suggestions.

Heartfelt thanks to you all.

You're welcome and, let us know how you're getting on. There's always someone on here who will lend a hand should you require it, Hugh and hillsbro are extremely experienced.

Good luck.

Regards,

Duffems

Hi 2blackbirds - I don't know if you have researched Maurice's ancestry, but he turns up in the 1891 census with his parents George and Selina in Reliance Place (off Winter Street), and in the 1901 census with the now-widowed Selina in Broomspring Lane. George and Selina (née Mason) were married in Sheffield in 1860. George's parents were Edward and Elizabeth Spencer. Edward, a "spring knife cutler" was evidently born in Sheffield on 22 January 1810.

Archived