How many ex GPO Telephone Engineers are out there

sandie

Hi davep,

I to can remember that we would go TEC (Maltraves Road) ans the vans were not only covered in paint, but if I can remember the even the old Black and White Reg plates had a yellow tinge.

Over the years in Scotland I have seen the Registration GPO 1 and others you will be able to remember most of our early vans had the prefix GPO, the old commers and the Morris Vans.

Subs Maintenence was the Morris vans, The Commer was UG.

Happy Days

• 1 month later...

spent 28 years in various depts. 1 thing you could rely on was if anything worked they

would disband it, scatter the people around and then say they have a problem.

its called progress. happy days getting soaked and frozen stiff. lots of good friends.

I'm ex BT as are all the blokes I work with, (5 of them), between us we've got around 90 years at BT. Had some great times until it was privatised and we stopped being people and became engineering work units. Then profit became king and staff morale went down the grate. Left in 92. Miss those days at the top of poles in blizzards, rain, hail, and gales. And to anyone who knows me, yes I did climb the poles.........................sometimes.

• 6 years later...
After returning back home from a few weeks back in Yorkshire today I met an old workmate from Sheffield in the centre of Inverness. He was on holiday here, just wondered if there are people left who remember the GPO before the days of BT in Sheffield.

Hi Sandy, Read 'Please wipe your boots' out on kindle. It covers all the larks and pranks of GPO telephone engineers and all the irreverent truth gets exposed. This will bring back loads of memories for all those guys.