Urgently need help - looking for Sheffield friends

I've partied, live'd, studied and worked (in that order ;o) in Sheffield off and on from 1997-2000. I'm now planning a week-long trip to Sheffield in October of this year and am urgently looking for my mates and old friends from there to hook up again (sadly, I've lost contact to most of them in the last few years).

Please email me if any of the below rings any bells:

Mark Schreiber (aka "Mark the spark", "der Kaiser") (that's me) Dick and Vonny Darby (landlords at the Springfield Tavern), The Springfield Tavern (Broomspring Lane, Broomhall), Snuff (Dick and Vonny's lovely white dog and keeper of the bar), Dean Jessop, Phil Toher, Calluna (music band), Steve and John (used to chefs at Hanrahan's and got me into trouble with my Indian flatmates), Pete (barman at the Springfield Tav - skinny, long-haired guy with a faible for Italian football and weird girls ;o), Clive and Anne Morton (successors to Dick and Vonny at the Springfield Tav), etc.

Please email me at: mark.schreiber@iu-bremen.de

I'd really like to revive old traditions once I'm back in Sheffield (although I gather that things will have changed a lot in the last 3 years and I probably won't find my way around any more ;o)

cheers and hope to see you in Sheffield in October,

Mark

• 2 years later...

hi Mark,,,

I was a regular at the Sprilgfield for years and would also be interested in tracking Clive and Anne down, as they have left the Springfield a few years ago (a guy called steph took over)

Anyway, if you have had any information, please get in touch..

Thanks

Stuart

• 2 months later...

Hi Stuart a bit of old history about the Springfield I used to live on Gloucester st 1924 -33 and used to sing carols, and penny for the guy outside this pub and remember the Black maria[ police van] as it was then called, coming to fetch a character called Crutchy Haigh a one legged man who used hawk in the town ,he used to get violent when drunk and would stand with his back to thewall and swing his crutch at anyone who tried to evict him ,hence this very exciting sight for us kids Arthur.

• 5 months later...

hi. my name is Clare and my partner is Graham and together we now run The Springfield. We have been here for about 18 months. The pub was a bit quiet when we took over and we are still developing trade but it is going really well. The only phone number for the pub now is 01142 490464 and our e-mail is springfield@wwmail.co.uk please feel free to contact us with any enquiries or better still pop in for a beer and introduce yourselves. Happy hour 5-7 weekdays. Poker night on Friday & Tuesday. Food served all day. Opening hours Sun - Thurs 12 noon - 12 midnight and Fri & Sat 12noon - 1am.

• 2 years later...
Hi Stuart a bit of old history about the Springfield I used to live on Gloucester st 1924 -33 and used to sing carols, and penny for the guy outside this pub and remember the Black maria[ police van] as it was then called, coming to fetch a character called Crutchy Haigh a one legged man who used hawk in the town ,he used to get violent when drunk and would stand with his back to thewall and swing his crutch at anyone who tried to evict him ,hence this very exciting sight for us kids Arthur.

hiya just read your letter and it brought back something my fathers brother told me the day before my father died,he told me crutchy haigh once broke my fathers arm out side a pub where he had stopped for a drink with my mum and me i must have been three or four,(1941/42) crutchy had had a driink and been abusive and people went to calm him down but with his back to the wall he lashed out with his crutch hitting dad on the arm. i remember him having a pot on his arm he had to have some time off work as a swiing ginder i dont know how long he had off work but i do remember him cutting the pot off, we lived on bath st at the time.

Archived