Family research - looking for Owen

grannypat

I am trying to find out what happened to William Alfred Owen b 1880 in Sheffield. (Heeley area) Father was George Alfred Owen and mother was Fanny Owen (nee Perry) He married Nellie Banks in 1903 and from there I lose him. Any clues that I could follow up would be appreciated.

Do you have these possible children?:

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1914

OWEN Thomas (mother's maiden name: BANKS)

Ecclesall B. 9c 963

GRO Births JUN Qtr 1923

OWEN Charles H (mmn: BANKS)

Ecclesall B. 9c 734

This index lists mmn from SEP Qtr 1911, so there may be other children of this couple born 1903-1911 (lots of OWENs born in Sheffield in that span).

Hugh

Thanks for replying. Thomas was my father and Charles was one of his brothers. I know the names of all siblings. It is their mother's husband that I am trying to get some information on. He was not the father of her children. The marriage must have ended sometime around 1910 but I cannot find any record of William Alfred Owen having died at that time or any other come to that. He could have died during World War 1 I suppose but I have not been able find any record of this happening. If you have any advice to offer I would be grateful. I would seem to be at a complete standstill with almost every branch of my family tree.

Pat

• 3 years later...

Hi,

I am still looking for any trace of William Alfred Owen. I have found out that a William A. Owen died in July/Aug/Sept 1955 but don't know if it is the right man. If I could find out what the A. stands for then it might be a start. Does anyone know how I can access the obituaries in The Star for that quarter? I have tried online but I'm don't think I'm doing it right. I am loath to send for his death certificate without something a little more concrete that it might be the right chap. Any help gratefully received.

Granny Pat

There is a William A Owen born 1880 on the 1911 census living in a lodging house his occupation is down as Pedler - he has put his marital status as single - so perhaps he did a runner!!!

You could try the new British Library online records for the obit!

Hi Smary,

I saw that entry and did wonder about it myself. The chap who died in 1955 coulkd be the same one. I think that the only way I'm going to find out is by sending for the death certificate. I just thought that he might have been a part of someone elses family tree. Thanks for your help. All gratefully received.

Granny Pat

Archived