Family doctors of years gone by

Our family doctor was in a group practice, at Firth Park, there was Dr Mackenzie, Dr Pettigrew and Dr Pilling. Dr Pettigrew was the first lady doctor I ever came across. Always dressed in a tweed suit, sharp features, and half-specs she looked at you over. The practice is still there I think, but the old docs are long gone.

• 4 weeks later...

Back in the 1940s we had a doctor called Pettigrew, whose surgery was at the end of Leeds Road. I think there was old man Pettigrew, and he was followed by his son, and they were doctors of the old school --brilliant in their dedication to the task of looking after the folks of the East End.

In later year, I recall a doc called Allen, who had a surgery on Montgomery Terrace Road in the 1950s, and also one of Eyre Street.

I would agree with people who have praised Paul Jeavons --definitely a very special guy, and a superb doctor.

Come on you old Woodhouse folk, let's hear about GPs dynasty; are there still a few of you who remember Dr Scott from 80 or so years ago? Still quite a few of us recall Dr Adams, Dr Jackson, who arrived in the village around 1938, contemporary with Dr O'Brien, and Dr Macmillan. Then came Frank Brindley, son of the village hardware merchant in Tannery Street, and Dr Rooney. Frank Brindley was succeeded by Dr Andrejowski followed by Margaret Spinks and the team now based in the extended practice adjoining the health centre.

Dr VR Patel was my neighbour in Ranmoor from 1975 to the day we moved up to Fulwood Road in 1981. We more or less grew up with his daughters and had some truly memorable times as neighbours (midnight parties and days out etc). I used to get diaries and calenders from medical companies from him.

The beauty was that should I pick up a cough or a cold or whatever, he'd either pop round to ours or I'd go round to his. As others have said, he's a lovely guy.

But my own doctor was 'Johnny' Adamo whose surgery was on Barber Road / Crookesmoor Road. Another friend of the family, Dr Adamo was (and indeed remains) a likeable guy but my goodness, he has the loudest voice on planet earth.

Dr VR Patel was my neighbour in Ranmoor from 1975 to the day we moved up to Fulwood Road in 1981. We more or less grew up with his daughters and had some truly memorable times as neighbours (midnight parties and days out etc). I used to get diaries and calenders from medical companies from him.

The beauty was that should I pick up a cough or a cold or whatever, he'd either pop round to ours or I'd go round to his. As others have said, he's a lovely guy.

But my own doctor was 'Johnny' Adamo whose surgery was on Barber Road / Crookesmoor Road. Another friend of the family, Dr Adamo was (and indeed remains) a likeable guy but my goodness, he has the loudest voice on planet earth.

Dr Patel was my GP around this time. I wanted the 'snip' and there was a bit of a waiting list, He offered to do it privately for me. I went to his house on Hangingwater, he had a mini op theatre in the basement room. In and out, in 25 mins and a can of lager for refreshment, £30 all in!

Dr Patel was my GP around this time. I wanted the 'snip' and there was a bit of a waiting list, He offered to do it privately for me. I went to his house on Hangingwater, he had a mini op theatre in the basement room. In and out, in 25 mins and a can of lager for refreshment, £30 all in!

Oh lordy, what a sobering thought.

I used to play in that theatre downstairs and probably played on the very couch where snip ops took place. As a kid such things never cross your mind.

As someone who went through the experience some years back (and it wasn't fun in my case) I suddenly feel quite light-headed.

I remember as a child going to our Dr's surgery on Staniforth Rd, they then moved to Talbert (sp) Road then to Parkhill M/C on Duke Street. Dr Wallis was the nicer of the two, Dr Froggit was really strict and rough.

The older practices always had a really nice smell about them, a bit like Covonia cough madicine lol

Hehe I remember visiting the Duke St. practice, Think Dr. Maher was also at the same practice? On the corner of Manor Oaks Rd. / Duke St.

Oh lordy, what a sobering thought.

I used to play in that theatre downstairs and probably played on the very couch where snip ops took place. As a kid such things never cross your mind.

As someone who went through the experience some years back (and it wasn't fun in my case) I suddenly feel quite light-headed.

I had no bother at all, in fact I was playing the drums the same evening! Fortunately the working position is the most comfortable way to sit:D

I went to the practice on Greenhow Street, I use to see Dr Ridgewick (smashing bloke). My father saw Dr Laheaf he was always picking bets out in the newspaper when the patients walked in also smwlt of whisky. There was a third Dr Bryson. That was way back in the 50's and 60's

I seem to remember a Young Dr Brison and an old Dr Bryson. My mum and us kids had Ridgewick, my dad had Bryson. I remember him telling my dad off for sucking Maggots to make them wriggle.

I dont know if Ridgewick is still alive he was living on moorbank rd off couldwell lane. When we were kids he had a house on Thrush St. opposite the walkley club.

We played with his son sometimes. I think he has at at Birkdale. so a bit posh for us, but a nice lad. I can't remember his name.