Family doctors of years gone by

Our family doctor was in a group practice, at Firth Park, there was Dr Mackenzie, Dr Pettigrew and Dr Pilling. Dr Pettigrew was the first lady doctor I ever came across. Always dressed in a tweed suit, sharp features, and half-specs she looked at you over. The practice is still there I think, but the old docs are long gone.

I went to that practice too from being born in 1944 ( lived on Hinde House Lane) up to leaving Sheffield in 1976. Dr Herbert Pilling left to be Sheffield Coroner and he was replaced by Dr Ridgeway I think who was there until retirement. Dr Ridgeway attended St Oswalds Church at Millhouses where my wife grew up and I happened to meet him and had a chat about 3 years ago.

I can remember it in the early days when there were no appointments and you just turned up and waited for what seemed an eternity ! So many poeple were coughing and sneezing you were probably safer at home !

I recall Dr Pettigrew as being a kindly lady who was a very good doctor.

Edited by johnpm

I was born in '56 on Abbeyfield Rd and the first doctor I remember seeing was a lovely gentleman called Dr Stark , who, along with Dr Kershaw had a surgery in the house on the corner of Barnsley Rd and Scott Rd before they moved further down Pitsmoor to Minna Rd. I continued to see Dr Stark for the next 20 years until ill health meant he had to take an early retirement and I've seen the ''new'' doctor , (Dr McCullough ) ever since , with the surgery moving yet again just around the corner to Burngreave Rd . There is a chemist shop incorporated into the new building where Dr Starks' brass name plate is prominently displayed on one of the walls . I always remember him fondly whenever I wait to collect my prescriptions .

I remember a Dr Oleary at the bottom of Frederick St at the junction with Staniforth Rd, I was only young but i remember his silver hair and he always seemed to wear a green tweed jacket with those leather buttons,my mum swore by him. We then moved to the Flower estate and our doctor was Dr Ridgeway ,a very nice man , and later he was joined by a Dr Lloyd who i think for some reason had both his legs amputated some years later.

Oh , and they had a rottweiler for a receptionist !!.

I remember Dr Ridgeway well, a very religious man. When I had problems after the snip (a testicle the size of a cricket ball, lol) he sent me straight back to the hospital by ambulance. I remember him saying "I'll pray for you" as I was dispatched by stretcher.

Dr Lloyd, I never felt comfortable talking to for some reason. I believe his amputations were due to being diabetic.

He was replaced by Dr Shawcross. The best doctor our family have ever known.

On page four of this thread "hillsboro" asked does anyone remember Dr Bryson and Ridgwick from Stannington. They were our family doctors when I was a child. Memories are vague, 'cause I didn't need to see them often.

I remember seeing Dr Ridgwick with back pains as a teenager, to be told it was growing pains. I must have been a slow grower, lol, 'cause they lasted till my forties...then no problems since.

• 9 months later...
Paul Jeavons used to be my OH Doctor.

He's at Mill Road Surgery in Ecclesfield now.

Unfortunately he is retired now, a desperate loss as far as I am concerned. Best doctor we have had for 30+ years - ever since he started. Dr Pilling was the first doctor I had over 50+ years ago (became the Coroner for Sheffield) - great man, along with Dr Pettigrew at Firth Park.

My doctor as a boy in the 60s early 70s,was Trevor May,he was a family friend,I think he had a surgery on burgoyne road.

Dr May was also our family doctor for many years, from the mid 60s right up until he retired. We even stayed with him when we moved from Walkley to Parson Cross.

I always remember going into his room and he'd be there puffing away on a cigar, you could barely see him for the smoke! Brilliant doc though, you felt better just by talking to him.

Dr Ogilvie who practised on Wolstenholme Road was our family doctor for years when I was little in the 1940's. He was lovely and always asked about the rest of the family when we had the occasion to visit him, I remember being a small child I thought that the dimple in his chin was great, never since have I had such a good and thorough Dr,:)