Family doctors of years gone by

6 hours ago, ken said:

Dr Panniker was my GP from 1940’s to when I moved to Canada in 1966.

I heard his son committed suicide.Is this true?

Yes it is true his son did commit suicide.  It was Dr Peter Panniker who committed suicide.  He took an overdose of tablets in a hotel just off the M1 motorway near Leeds. His  son Richard Panniker was at medical school when it happened took over the practice when he qualified as a Doctor, he has since retired. 

I can’t remember Peter Panniker very well but I was told he was a good Doctor.  I remember going into the surgery with my mum a few weeks after Peter’s death to see Doctor Claire who was Peter’s wife.  The   Receptionist asked everyone not to mention his death to her when they were called in to see her.  It was her first week back at work after his death.  

She only returned to work until her son Richard qualified as a Doctor and was able to take over the practice with his wife who was also a Doctor.

All three generations of Pannikers were good Doctor’s.

• 2 years later...

When my Dad moved from Woodthorpe to Hackenthorpe  he didn't change doctors . I  can still remember his doctors name . In the middle of the night my Dad became very ill , the Doctor refused to come out saying there was nothing wrong with him . A few weeks later my Dad was having major heart surgery .

“You’d have thought, wouldn’t you, that between them 2 grown women would be able to get a 3 year old child out of a cupboard!” Those were Dr. Pettigrew’s parting words to my mum after a home visit. I was very tiny and had a raging temperature. Dr Pettigrew’s stethoscope had looked rather sinister as she pulled it out of her bag, and I’d freaked out and jumped into a cupboard. One of the doors had a catch on the inside to keep it closed and somehow I’d managed to cling onto something to keep the other door tightly shut. They couldn’t get me out. Dr Pettigrew was very kind and despite the cupboard incident she was always happy to visit us at home. Stark contrast to how it is nowadays. A few years back my dad, as an 84 year old heart patient, rang his surgery to report that he couldn’t get mum to wake up and could the doctor call round? He was told no, but he could have an appointment in 2 weeks. 

On 08/06/2024 at 02:28, Leannecarol said:

My nan always mentions a DR LEG, she’s from attercliffe way, anyone remember this DR??

My partner lived in Attercliffe ftom 1950 to 64  and remembers Dr Leg and Dr Pettigrew 

Doctor Hart,

His surgery was on the corner of Manor Oaks Rd and Duke St.  He was a GP and a surgeon he operated on me when I was  6yrs old I was suffering stones in my bladder. 

19 hours ago, Dreb48 said:

My partner lived in Attercliffe ftom 1950 to 64  and remembers Dr Leg and Dr Pettigrew 

There was more than one Dr. Pettigrew, there was a whole family of them.  It started off with William Pettigrew who had a surgery on Attercliffe Common for 40 years, and 4 of his children  - Michael, Bruce, Marion and Daniel - all went on to be doctors.  Michael was a war hero and won the Military Cross for tending to injured soldiers under heavy fire in WW1. He took over the Attercliffe Common practice when his father died.  Bruce had a surgery on Leeds Rd together with a Dr. Kirkpatrick who had married his sister Abigail Pettigrew. Daniel Pettigrew was for a time in charge of Firvale Hospital and had a surgery on Firth Park Rd. A couple of his daughters also went into the medical profession, and I think his son Daniel jnr. did as well. A bit of a medical dynasty that lot!

1 hour ago, Slighty batty said:

There was more than one Dr. Pettigrew, there was a whole family of them.  It started off with William Pettigrew who had a surgery on Attercliffe Common for 40 years, and 4 of his children  - Michael, Bruce, Marion and Daniel - all went on to be doctors.  Michael was a war hero and won the Military Cross for tending to injured soldiers under heavy fire in WW1. He took over the Attercliffe Common practice when his father died.  Bruce had a surgery on Leeds Rd together with a Dr. Kirkpatrick who had married his sister Abigail Pettigrew. Daniel Pettigrew was for a time in charge of Firvale Hospital and had a surgery on Firth Park Rd. A couple of his daughters also went into the medical profession, and I think his son Daniel jnr. did as well. A bit of a medical dynasty that lot!

Yes I’m aware that the Pettigrew family practiced all over Sheffield .

Ive no idea of his first name , but Dr Pettigrew was our family doctor in Totley all through my childhood in the 50s  

He had his surgery on Baslow Rd 

Mine was Dr Sugden and Dr O'Donovan on Jaunty lane in the 60s. O'Donovan was well known for liking a rather large tipple and could usually be found propping the bar at Renishaw golf club 😁