Family doctors of years gone by

I remember Dr Daniels & Dr White on Langsett Rd at the bottom of Burnaby St,The surgery was in one of the terraced houses and the front room was the waiting room. Dr Daniels was a lovely Gentelman who everyone wanted to see and Dr White who everyone avoided, Dr morley was a locum who then became part of the practice. When Dr D retired the practice moved to Limbrick Rd with Dr White the senior partner with Dr Morley together with Dr Greaves formed the practice.

I remeber when it first opened at Limbrick you sat on different coloured seats depending which Dr you wanted to see,Dr morleys seats were full with people standing but Dr White and Dr Greaves had very few people waiting. When Dr White retired the practice moved to Tramways Medical Centre.

Dr Morley and Partners are very good Doctors but history repeats itself because no onewants to see Dr Oconnel:hihi:

I believe Dr Morley is retiring this year and i for one will be sorry to see him go:sad:

I went to the practice on Greenhow Street, I use to see Dr Ridgewick (smashing bloke). My father saw Dr Laheaf he was always picking bets out in the newspaper when the patients walked in also smwlt of whisky. There was a third Dr Bryson. That was way back in the 50's and 60's

i too used to go to dr. damms,while a good bloke,and a bit of a character,i much preferred Patel,who seemed more thorough,he was very good to both my father and mother during their lives.We did initially have Dr. Ivy Nicholls on Halifax Road,then switched to Metson and Chaudry on southey hill,then to Damms,been with this practice since.

To say that Damms was a bit of a character is to well understate it ! I once called him out when my (then) young son was very poorly. He picked him up and pushed his head between his legs and said," Well he hasn't got meningitis", I looked at him gobsmacked, he smiled and said, "I always like to think of the worst thing first, I always think, ' what would I hate the coroner to be telling me off about in the morning' " .........class.

A Dr. Bryson was our family doctor in the 40's and 50's, his practice was just off South Rd., Walkley

I went to the practice on Greenhow Street, I use to see Dr Ridgewick (smashing bloke). My father saw Dr Laheaf he was always picking bets out in the newspaper when the patients walked in also smwlt of whisky. There was a third Dr Bryson. That was way back in the 50's and 60's

Any older forumers remember Dr Allan? His surgery was on Mongomery Terrace Road. We lived in the same house and my mum used to clean his office for a bit of extra change as dad was away in the war.

I don't remember doing it but I was told that I went into his office and got his cigs out of the drawer and destroyed them all and cigs were hard to get during the war.

When my daughter was a baby and we had just moved house, I called the new surgery (The Hollies) in the evening because she was running a temperature and was very lethargic. You know the thing: first-time parent, prone to panicking. Dr Greaves was on duty. He told me he'd stop by within the next hour and to give my daughter some Calpol in the meantime (yes, I did need to be told to do that - first-time parent, see above :)). Of course, the Calpol had worked its magic and she was fine when he arrived half an hour later. I was mortified to have dragged him out on a rainy night after hours for absolutely no reason but my own stupidity, but he was so kind and just said "Don't worry, I'm just glad she's better." My hero!

Dr Botros and Dr Lang - way back in the 50's on Attercliffe Common. Dr Botros was Egyptian and I can remember him giving me and my brothers our childhood inoculations, I would always faint afterwards because of my fear of needles; still afraid of needles but don't faint now!

We went to Dr Baker on Wadsley lane for years, he brought me into the world and looked after me until I was a teenager.

He was great and would always do home visits.

The surgery was scary to visit, you had to go in and speak into a microphone to say who you were, no sight of a receptionist then. You all had to sit around the tiny waiting room and remember the order you had arrived in, sometimes we waited hours, I don't think he had a partner, there was only him on.

His only son killed himself and I don't think he ever recovered from that, and then Dr Baker and his wife both died in a plane crash on Lanzerote (I think), very sad.