Family doctors of years gone by

From 6 weeks old until I was 40, I had the same Surgery at Minna Road, and was under Dr Kershaw. Had to change when I finally went out of the area limit.

Still have seem him on the 51 bus occasionally, and he looks exactly the same :)

This doctors question has knocked me for six because I cannot, at the moment, recall my family doctor’s name. His surgery was on Ecclesall Road, a big house on the right, going towards Hunter’s Bar. He charged a half-crown for a visit, and I think one shilling if you attended his surgery. I could write a book about the man — but his name escapes me!

If my memory‘s search engine would be kind enough to trawl that area, I’ll come back with it.

My grandfather born in 1900 went to school with one of the Dr.Matthews then had the benefit of his services followed by his son's. They had a practice just off London Road on the corner of probably Fieldhead Road.

Duffems

Yes that sounds right.

I think also my Mum either went to school with Bob junior or knew him socially.

If he is still practising he would have to be between 75 and 80!??

Does any one remember doctors Wainwright and Gethin on Attercliffe Common.Dr Wainwright used to be strict so Gethin was the one most people liked to see

Vividly remember, as a child, sat in Wainwrights surgery n that HUGE depressing painting above the fireplace!!

When I was little we went to our GPs in a big old house on Grimesthorpe Road, all sitting on hardback chairs counting your turn. Dr.Tyson was such a good loooking young doctor. The practice then moved to Burngreave Road. When I had grown up and took my baby daughter down because she seemed to be crying all the time Dr. Kershaw advised me to put a teaspoon of whisky into her bottle, if that didn't work I should have a tablespoon of whisky and I wouldn't be bothered!!

I remember as a child going to our Dr's surgery on Staniforth Rd, they then moved to Talbert (sp) Road then to Parkhill M/C on Duke Street. Dr Wallis was the nicer of the two, Dr Froggit was really strict and rough.

The older practices always had a really nice smell about them, a bit like Covonia cough madicine lol