Family doctors of years gone by

Going back to the 1950s does anyone remember Dr Bryson? This was John O'Kane Bryson whose surgery was on Stannington Road. An Irishman, he was a very caring, hard-working G.P. who did all his own house calls in his Volkswagen Beetle. I remember him advising my grandad to take Trinitron tablets for his angina "but if it isn't too bad, just lie down and have a drop of whisky". From the early 1960s he was joined by Dr Jack Ridgwick (still going strong in his 80s). John Bryson's son Shaun also became a G.P. at Stannington and Walkley, but he sadly died of a heart attack - he was only 40.

yes Robbiet I remember Dr's Wainwright and Gethin. I too always wanted to see Gethin as I was scared stiff of Wainwright. Remember the picture in the waiting room of the doctor leaning over a child sick in bed...so depressing.

I'd forgotten all about that picture.I just remember the dark depressing waiting room and the people letting you go first if you were brave enough to face Wainwright:

I'll never forget Dr Hart, our family doctor on Duke St, opposite where Talbot Place used to intersect it. As a small kid, I had chickenpox or some other such childhood ailment so I couldn't go out on Bonfire Nt. I watched the bonfire and fireworks, which were set up in the back yard, through a window. I got so excited that I actually put my head through the window, causing a big gash in my chin. dr. Hart came round to the house right way and stitched me up right on the kitchen table. I still have a small scar there now to remind me of those happy days when being a doctor meant more than a pay cheque.

Couldn't agree more.

Used to live close by the surgery and Dr Hart was regarded by young and old as a very very capable GP but woe betide you if you tried to waste his time.

When I was little we went to our GPs in a big old house on Grimesthorpe Road, all sitting on hardback chairs counting your turn. Dr.Tyson was such a good loooking young doctor. The practice then moved to Burngreave Road. When I had grown up and took my baby daughter down because she seemed to be crying all the time Dr. Kershaw advised me to put a teaspoon of whisky into her bottle, if that didn't work I should have a tablespoon of whisky and I wouldn't be bothered!!

We too had Dr Tyson (Victor, as previously stated!). He was brilliant, often telling you what was wrong without examining you - and he was always right. He took the time to listen through my teen problems. When they moved to the corner of Minna Road, I thought we had longer to wait to be seen but still not a patch on nowadays in A&E departments!. My GP now is on Buchanan Road, and they are pretty good at getting you seen straight away, and they have good "bedside manners" too.

My first GP, in the late 30's to 40's was William O'Brien who practiced from a private house on Richmond Road, opposite St. Catherine's Church. Actually he was responsible for delivering me to my mother at home in 1939, on Richmond Hill Road. I'll bet it cost more than half-a-crown though. Upon his retirement, he was replaced by Dr. McMillan who moved the practice to Stradbroke Drive when the estate was built. He had a purpose built residence with waiting room, surgery etc. He was still the incumbent at the time of my leaving Sheffield in 1959.

On a lighter (?) note, I recall my grandmother being attended by a locum in the late 1940's, a Dr. Krishna. I was fascinated by him as he was the first coloured person that I had ever seen. He told me off for staring at him!

Mike

We had Dr Tyson (VCH) as well. We lived at the top of Woodside Lane & his surgery (along with Dr Adams) was about 50 yards away. A bit further to go when he moved to the bottom of Minna Rd. Then it was Dr Kershaw, and then a lady Doctor who's name escapes me.

Probably wrong but I think the lady Dr. was a Dr. Taylor.