Family doctors of years gone by

I can remember being a patient of Dr Tyson as a kid living at home. You went into the surgery and he would peer down his gold rimmed glasses perched on the edge of his nose. He was very good and was our family doctor for many years

Probably wrong but I think the lady Dr. was a Dr. Taylor.

When Dr Kershaw left, I got Dr Edney ......... what a cow she is!!! LOL

Some years ago, at an appointment, out of the blue she comes out with "I think you should loose some weight!" .... Fair enough comment, but she was sat there, pouring out of her chair like Jabba the Hut :loopy: How I didn't give her a nasty response is still a mystery LOL

I remember DR. Pagdon and Dr Tilsley from Hackenthorpe and the surgery was at his house. I always remember the toys as a child in the waiting room.

At the age of 13 we moved to Stanington and Dr. Tilsley also had a practice at Malin Bridge.

But I remember with fondness Dr Pagdin

Some years ago, at an appointment, out of the blue she comes out with "I think you should loose some weight!" .... Fair enough comment, but she was sat there, pouring out of her chair like Jabba the Hut :loopy: How I didn't give her a nasty response is still a mystery LOL

That's her. Never liked her people skills. I was unhappy with how she was with my Dad during his final illness. Somewhat lacking in tact.

Dr Edney used to be my dads GP. He went to her after having a stroke and she told him to lose weight. Unfortunately for her he was prone to mood swings because of his illness, and he replied, " What about you, you're a fat cow!!! " My mum was horrified, but Dr Edney actually laughed at him. :hihi:

Dr Morley and Partners are very good Doctors but history repeats itself because no onewants to see Dr Oconnel:hihi:

Dunno about that, he always seems to have got a gaggle of teenage girls going in to see him.....? ;)

Our old doctor used to be Dr Burke, I think he was on Dykes Hall Lane. I was only young, but he was lovely, and my mum still talks fondly of him now. Nothing was too much trouble.

We then moved to Limbrick (Dr Liddell) too. :)

there were three doctors in years gone by that i had the missfortune to meet, one many years ago turned up so drunk at my friends house he could not stand up, my mother was called to deliver the poor womans child while the doctor sat in a chair by the bed

the other one, well he said there was nothing wrong when we rushed our son round to see him, so we got the bus (it was a long time ago) to the childrens hospital, my son had to have a kidney removed that very same day and ended up in an oxygen tent for asthma related illness'

the third ,well,he was treating my old mother for bronchitus for eleven years, she died of lung cancer, which i was told she had had for around .well you guessed it .

yet my own doctor from 50 or so years ago was a great character with the kids,he had eleven of his own so he probably understood the pains of kids growing up,even so he did tell my wife she was not pregnant and that she had severe wind, her waters broke several months later while on the 95 bus,almost outside the doctors surgery

Our old doctor used to be Dr Burke, I think he was on Dykes Hall Lane. I was only young, but he was lovely, and my mum still talks fondly of him now. Nothing was too much trouble.

That would be Dr Francis Birks in Dykes Hall Road - as you say he was an excellent doctor, who liked to look after his own patients rather than being in a group practice. But I think that, eventually, the practice merged with the "new" one in Far Lane, in about the late 1970s? The little single-storey surgery buiding is still there beside the Birks' large house.