Ethics - do writers need any?

SadOwl

As far as I know, the Publish America writer wasn't a librarian, but a library assistant. There's a long thread about the case over at Absolute Write, which makes compelling (if somewhat ugly) reading.

I'm sure that Publish America must have published a few good books in its time but I've never managed to find any.

Hello,

You mentioned Margaret Atwood. Living in Canada: I have tried, believe me, to read her books but 94 pages or several chapters describing things like a wart on someones face, doesn't do it for me.

Long ago,I relegated M. Atwood to a list of authors I call my "Benchmark Set" - when their writing begins to resonate and have meaning, I will know that I have gone mad.

Then a little while ago, I picked up a short piece Margaret had written on the death of her beloved mother some months before. It was free of all the usual things we find in her books and very moving. Now I don't know if I have gone over the edge or not.

Regards

94 pages describing a wart? I must have missed that one, and been focussing on those novels of hers that are based on nothing but meaning (and politics, and history, and science - you know, the usual pointless stuff ;))

I think we must have been reading a different Atwood.

*puzzled*

Archived