Presenter on radio sheffield

Yes, sadly Michael Cooke is no longer with us.

The association I always remember about Michael was his passion for the theatre and he did some excellent work for Rotherham Rep. Couldn't put a year on when he died but he had suffered Parkinsons for some time.

I was at Granville College during 1967/68 and I'm sure Michael was the drama teacher there. I remember us doing a performance at the Lyceum theatre about Hiroshima.

I did hear about him suffering from Parkinsons, but I too had not heard that he had died.

BBC Radio Sheffield recently celebrated its 40th birthday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/articles/2007/10/09/radio_sheffield_40th_birthday_audio_feature.shtml

If you click on 6 - Michael Cooke is interviewing a stubborn old man.

Check out his dulcet tones!

http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/bbc_yorkshire/news.html

A few pictures of Michael on the above link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/image_galleries/radio_sheffield_archive_photos_gallery.shtml?7

Michael cook used to live on Gleadless common in the 70s i went to Ashleigh school with his daughter cant remember her name though. he was a dj on BBC radioSheffield from the late 60s and also got the job as news reader on Look north on bbc1 in the mid 70s,stayed at radio sheffield presenting the phone in with Dina Maiden and the teatime show walk right in with Winton Cooper.he also presented the sat morning pop show Down town saturday live from Norfolk street with the late dj Ray stewart.he was also a methodest minister. Also a mad sports fan. He also presented the lunchtime news prog on radio 4 in the 70s called The world at one.A realy nice chap.

he sadly had parkinsons desiese and had to retire,he died a few years later.

On August 15th 1977 I was working behind the bar at the Mulberry tavern on Arundel gate when Michael came in with Roger Moffatt, Roger was an alchoholic who died very young but had the most beautiful speaking voice. Earlier he had been broadcating and the news had come thru about Elvis dying. Moffatt had said something insensitive and the Radio Sheffield office ,(I think on High St) was besiged by fans baying for blood. Michael was a friend of Mick Lee the landlord of the Mulberry and they hid him in the cellar whilst the fans, who had been told where he was, came looking for him. It was quite scary. Eventually Mick bundled Michael and Roger into a taxi and gort him away. Sorry tyhat Michael is dead, whatever hapened to Ro0ger Moffatt?

On August 15th 1977 I was working behind the bar at the Mulberry tavern on Arundel gate when Michael came in with Roger Moffatt, Roger was an alchoholic who died very young but had the most beautiful speaking voice. Earlier he had been broadcating and the news had come thru about Elvis dying. Moffatt had said something insensitive and the Radio Sheffield office ,(I think on High St) was besiged by fans baying for blood. Michael was a friend of Mick Lee the landlord of the Mulberry and they hid him in the cellar whilst the fans, who had been told where he was, came looking for him. It was quite scary. Eventually Mick bundled Michael and Roger into a taxi and gort him away. Sorry tyhat Michael is dead, whatever hapened to Ro0ger Moffatt?

Died 1986 - http://www.zen77094.zen.co.uk/vintagebroadcasting/rmoffatt.htm

On August 15th 1977 I was working behind the bar at the Mulberry tavern on Arundel gate when Michael came in with Roger Moffatt, Roger was an alchoholic who died very young but had the most beautiful speaking voice. Earlier he had been broadcating and the news had come thru about Elvis dying. Moffatt had said something insensitive and the Radio Sheffield office ,(I think on High St) was besiged by fans baying for blood. Michael was a friend of Mick Lee the landlord of the Mulberry and they hid him in the cellar whilst the fans, who had been told where he was, came looking for him. It was quite scary. Eventually Mick bundled Michael and Roger into a taxi and gort him away. Sorry tyhat Michael is dead, whatever hapened to Roger Moffatt?

Roger Moffat was working for Radio Hallam at the time of elvis dying, and RM making the (allegedly) insensitive comments. (Personally I think what he said although somewhat inappropriate for broadcast/repeating was perfectly true)

The Radio Hallam Offices were off Hartshead, behind High Street.

Archived