Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

Yes I believe they should, synthetic fur looks just as glamourous, cosy, cuddly, fun - if that's the look that's wanting to be achieved. To kill animals for the sake of vanity, one-upmanship, or whatever displays of wealth they want people to see is wrong IMO, and making money from the people who buy the furs is worse.

I once turned down a job in which I was required to model furs for that reason. My own mother had a fur stole (with a little fox's head on it) I told her it was horrid, and I never saw it again.

I think it wrong for people to parade about in real fur coats when fake fur is just as good

Fake fur isn't as good, but it still does not give the right to wear real fur which is completely on top. If you saw the channel 4 program the other night I suspect you were as horrified as me to see live animals being skinned and still being alive without their skin after. If you are anti fur and did not watch it then seriously DONT! If you are pro fur then watch it and I promise you that you will change your mind unless you are pure scum personified!

As long as endangered species aren't killed for their pelts, whatever is the problem?

We eat beef, we wear leather, and if somebody wants to breed mink to make nice coats from them, crack on - it's just a coat for heaven's sake and the mink aren't endangered - especially when there are breeding programmes to produce them for the trade.

It's a shame people don't have anything better to moan about than what somebody else chooses to wear.

As long as endangered species aren't killed for their pelts, whatever is the problem?

We eat beef, we wear leather, and if somebody wants to breed mink to make nice coats from them, crack on - it's just a coat for heaven's sake and the mink aren't endangered - especially when there are breeding programmes to produce them for the trade.

It's a shame people don't have anything better to moan about than what somebody else chooses to wear.

So it's acceptable to take an innocent life for the sake of vanity, is that what you're saying? Because I don't believe it's right to kill animals for food OR leather either. I really cannot understand the mentality of some people:loopy:

Fake fur isn't as good, but it still does not give the right to wear real fur which is completely on top. If you saw the channel 4 program the other night I suspect you were as horrified as me to see live animals being skinned and still being alive without their skin after. If you are anti fur and did not watch it then seriously DONT! If you are pro fur then watch it and I promise you that you will change your mind unless you are pure scum personified!

oh god...that poor little fox with all its skin ripped off, still alive..another with its legs gnawed to the bone. I can't believe how cruel they are in countries such as China, they seem to inflict uneccessary suffering on poor creatures just 'cos they can.

Then again, the mink farm was amazingly humane, the mink died instantaeously and without stress, unlike many farm animals.

I'm anti-fur though, it does seem pointless when you can get fake stuff.

I agree, but I think alot of the objection would be removed if all animals were dealt with in a humane way, the pictures of dogs being skinned alive in China must upset the majority of people in the West. I've spent most of my life shooting all sorts of game, not an exact science, but endevour at all times to make sure as little suffering as possible takes place and that the meat derived is eaten.

oh god...that poor little fox with all its skin ripped off, still alive..another with its legs gnawed to the bone. I can't believe how cruel they are in countries such as China, they seem to inflict uneccessary suffering on poor creatures just 'cos they can.

Then again, the mink farm was amazingly humane, the mink died instantaeously and without stress, unlike many farm animals.

I'm anti-fur though, it does seem pointless when you can get fake stuff.

Yep, china was a lot worse and there lies a reasonable argument for just regulating the fur trade - but it don't get those who say 'we eat meat so wearing fur us the same' cos it's not! Meat has historically been essential for good protein and a balanced diet. We are doing nothing different there to all the other animals that eat each other. It's in a different league to wearing animals....

I think it wrong for people to parade about in real fur coats when fake fur is just as good

Presumably you'd suggest this on some sort of animal rights level?

If we banned fur (from non endangered species obviously) then we'd have to go down the route of banning leather, gelatin, glue, meat, and so on.

Archived