Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

Fake fur isn't as good, but it still does not give the right to wear real fur which is completely on top. If you saw the channel 4 program the other night I suspect you were as horrified as me to see live animals being skinned and still being alive without their skin after. If you are anti fur and did not watch it then seriously DONT! If you are pro fur then watch it and I promise you that you will change your mind unless you are pure scum personified!

This is an argument to enforce animal treatment laws though isn't it?

Presumably you'd suggest this on some sort of animal rights level?

If we banned fur (from non endangered species obviously) then we'd have to go down the route of banning leather, gelatin, glue, meat, and so on.

Why would we?

It's a no vote for me.

Here's why:

• Some of the treatment animals produced for fur is horrendous, no doubt.
    The best way to deal with that is to enforce animal cruelty laws and restrict imports to those from cruelty free producers (yes, that means inspections etc) in a similar way that some tuna tins are labelled 'dolphin friendly' for example. Let the buyers of fur bear the cost.
  • Ban fur, what next? As Cyclone points out, wouldn't we then have to ban leather coats?
  • Our government is all too keen to ban things and add more laws rather than trying to enforce existing rules. Let people choose for themselves and stop treating the British people as incapable of making their own descisions.

Presumably you'd suggest this on some sort of animal rights level?

If we banned fur (from non endangered species obviously) then we'd have to go down the route of banning leather, gelatin, glue, meat, and so on.

no because leather, gelatin, glue, meat are the result of the food industry were the whole of the animal is used the only reason we have real fur is for fashion no other part of the animal is used

no because leather, gelatin, glue, meat are the result of the food industry were the whole of the animal is used the only reason we have real fur is for fashion no other part of the animal is used

Is that because you can't eat mink?

Some earlier said that we've always eaten meat.

We've also 'always' (since developing tools) used animal skins to protect ourselves. It's as natural as anything else we do.

Why is it OK to kill an animal for it's flesh but not it's fur and why is it OK to use by-products, leather shoes etc. These "moral dilemmas" are quite bewildering - it's a wonder how some people manage to sleep at night.

I agree, but I think alot of the objection would be removed if all animals were dealt with in a humane way, the pictures of dogs being skinned alive in China must upset the majority of people in the West. I\'ve spent most of my life shooting all sorts of game, not an exact science, but endevour at all times to make sure as little suffering as possible takes place and that the meat derived is eaten.
I too have spent a lot of my life looking down the barrels of a shot gun or a rifle, and despite acknowledging the satisfaction that comes from allowing my instinctive urges to be satisfied, I abhor deliberate cruelty. I don’t suppose the anti-brigade can quite get their worked-up little minds round that, but I care little for limited views of the perpetual complainers of this world.

If an animal is raised in reasonable conditions and surroundings, and its end comes via a painless (or at least rapid and panic-free) method of despatch, then all is well.

Archived