Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

I think it is ok to wear leather as long as all the animal is used for food etc. I do not agree with just killing animals just for a fashion statement and often the animals as previous posters have said are subject to horrific treatment.

I also know one or two so called vegitarians who seem to have no problem with wearing leather I can not work that one out:loopy:

So it\'s acceptable to take an innocent life for the sake of vanity, is that what you\'re saying? Because I don\'t believe it\'s right to kill animals for food OR leather either. I really cannot understand the mentality of some people:loopy:

To your first question, yes, though i wouldn\'t dramatise a mink or a fox or a snake by calling it an \'innocent life\'. It\'s just an animal, the working sum of lots of proteins and some water, and if it\'s not rare or endangered, then I\'m happy to have its skin on my shoes or on my study wall.

As for your view that it is wrong to eat animals, I think we share one thing at least - the inability to understand the mentality of some others. In my case, it\'s the veggies and anti-brigades, who seem to have something worryingly wrong between their ears. Just a personal view, of course.

Why is it OK to kill an animal for it\'s flesh but not it\'s fur and why is it OK to use by-products, leather shoes etc. These \"moral dilemmas\" a quite bewildering - it\'s a wonder how some people manage to sleep at night.
I don\'t think the anti-brigade do sleep properly at night.

They must spend endless restless hours worrying about the world around them and the injustices going on around in our cruel world.

So much so that they\'re usually really grumpy and objectionable during daylight hours.

Hell yes!! Fur shoudl totally be banned. Its disgraceful what them poor animals get put through just for there fur.

I don\'t think you would like it if we skinned you (possibly alive) and people wore your skin!

What do they get put through?

In the developing world, there is and will continue to be animal cruelty, which is wrong but cannot be stopped overnight.

In our western world, there are stringent regulations which do not permit us to be cruel to animals. A mink is raised, fed well, kept healthy, probably allowed to have some jiggy-jiggy with other mink, then humanely despatched.

What is disgraceful about that?

It is naive to judge the fur industry in the developed world based on conditions you may have seen in alarmist videos from the third world.

If fur should be banned, then should suede and leather goods also be banned? If not, please explain the difference...
Simple really - leather shoes are something we see a hundred times a day and are fully desensitised to (except the really extreme vegan loonies).

Fur, on the other hand, reminds soft-hearted types of the teddy bears they had as kids, and puppies, and kittens, and fwuffy bunny wabbits, so they get all worked up.

To your first question, yes, though i wouldn\'t dramatise a mink or a fox or a snake by calling it an \'innocent life\'. It\'s just an animal, the working sum of lots of proteins and some water, and if it\'s not rare or endangered, then I\'m happy to have its skin on my shoes or on my study wall.

As for your view that it is wrong to eat animals, I think we share one thing at least - the inability to understand the mentality of some others. In my case, it\'s the veggies and anti-brigades, who seem to have something worryingly wrong between their ears. Just a personal view, of course.

Oh of course.

Would you skin a human and wear their pelt in that case? After all, we are "just an animal, the working sum of lots of proteins and some water" and are hardly in danger of dying out are we?

Some people are just so incredibly selfish. I truly don't understand how anyone can not have the suffering of the battery hen/chinchilla they are eating/wearing on their conscience.

Oh of course.

Would you skin a human and wear their pelt in that case? After all, we are \"just an animal, the working sum of lots of proteins and some water\" and are hardly in danger of dying out are we?

Some people are just so incredibly selfish. I truly don\'t understand how anyone can not have the suffering of the battery hen/chinchilla they are eating/wearing on their conscience.

Mmm - so you think it’s selfish of us to eat something that’s lower in the food chain. An interesting way to look at life, that’s for sure.

Do you really think chickens are bright enough to suffer all that much? They’re just chickens after all, and as a species they are doubly unfortunate in that they taste good and they can’t fly.

As for skinning humans, why not? I don’t see human beings as being anything special. Some are deeply noble, others are of less value than a chicken (personal view again).

Archived