Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

Yes, that's a decent reason. We eat chicken and eggs out of choice for the taste, when there are plenty of other protein sources. Stuff em, they're just animals. I wouldn't agree that unecessary suffering should be inflicted (pain etc) but if they're just bred for fur and killed in a decently quick manner, then what is there to complain about?

I wouldn't agree with skinning humans, they're my own species. As for the lower animals, I don't think that skinning the poor buggers alive is being defended. Just breeding them for their fur. Nowt wrong with it.

Nothing wrong killing them for their fur? *Deep breath.* Ok, I can take that as being your opinion. But do you agree with the suffering inflicted whilst they are alive? Although I don't agree with taking lives for our own vanity, the needless suffering is what ultimately makes it unbearable for me to think about.

I never enquired as to what eggs you buy. Although if you must know, I, without exception, buy organic.
I could have guessed - that one word on the packaging isn\'t worth it in my book. People are staring to learn that, half of the time, it all comes from the same field but some people get charged more because their pack gets a different label.

Selfish, selfish, selfish! It\'s ok for hideous things to happen so long as it\'s not on your doorstep.
Yes, how can I worry about everything that goes on in this world? I have my own life and comforts to concentrate on.

I could have guessed - that one word on the packaging isn\'t worth it in my book. People are staring to learn that, half of the time, it all comes from the same field but some people get charged more because their pack gets a different label.

Yes, how can I worry about everything that goes on in this world? I have my own life and comforts to concentrate on.

I'm not asking you to worry about everything in the world. But if there's a straightforward choice between something ethical and something which is blatently cruel, how is it really making your life more difficult to choose the ethical option?

Nothing wrong killing them for their fur? *Deep breath.* Ok, I can take that as being your opinion. But do you agree with the suffering inflicted whilst they are alive? Although I don't agree with taking lives for our own vanity, the needless suffering is what ultimately makes it unbearable for me to think about.

What suffering? So they're not frolicking about in the fields (or trees), sniffing flowers, and all the other silly ott happy things they could be doing... I'm not saying they should be tortured before they're killed, poked with pointy sticks or sliced apart whilst still breathing.

Keep em in cages, feed em up, kill em, skin em. And? No 'needless suffering' there.

I'm not asking you to worry about everything in the world. But if there's a straightforward choice between something ethical and something which is blatently cruel, how is it really making your life more difficult to choose the ethical option?

It's not a choice between something ethical and something unethical. You obviously think it is unethical, I think it's ethical.

Keep em in cages, feed em up, kill em, skin em. And? No 'needless suffering' there.

If it was always like that (like the mink in the documentary who didn't seem to suffer uneccessarily) that would be one thing...

but the majority of fur comes from countries like China who have no conception of 'animal cruelty' as animals are just things to them...they inflict hideous suffering on the creatures for no reason at all, as you saw if you watched the doc.

I can understand why some people have a balanced view which limits their concern to cases where an animal is bred purely for its pelt as a decorative adornment, but again, as long as the animal is kept in good conditions and has a comfortable existance, what is the problem?

If we object to the principle that a creature was created (through a captive breeding programme) just to mature and become a coat, what is the actual objection? Is it simply the moral principle of the creatures life having nothing but a cosmetic purpose?

I\'d be happier, for example, for a mink to be deliberately bred, raised and well treated before being put down just for its pelt, than for a goat to have a hard life before being slaughtered for food.

Your arguments are based on logic and hard to dispute.

On balance I think yes it is just the fact that its fur is used and it isn't a byproduct like leather or suede. If the minks were actually being eaten as well I doubt i'd have such an objection.

There was a time when it was necessary to raise animals for fur. I would imagine in some parts of the world people still do. But we don't need mink fur. Its purely a vanity, you don't need to wear it there are other choices that do the same job.

Thing is my argument has a great big hole. I don't need to wear leather or eat beef, chicken or pork yet i'm quite happy to do so.

You are right. Your argument has no logical flaws that I can see

I believe that if your going to eat an animal, you may as well put the rest of it to good use. However, some animals such as Minks for example are breed solely for their fur and kept in terrible, crowded, unnatural conditions. It is a terrible that human greed means that animals aren't respected, but treated as a mass produced product.

I believe that if your going to eat an animal, you may as well put the rest of it to good use. However, some animals such as Minks for example are breed solely for their fur and kept in terrible, crowded, unnatural conditions. It is a terrible that human greed means that animals aren't respected, but treated as a mass produced product.

In the documentary they said they didn't waste any of the mink- it was used to make fishing bait, animal feed and bio-fuel. The mink farm almost won me over actually, it was more humane than most farms. I still wouldn't wear mink or any kind of fur though- you don't know whats happened to it.

If it was always like that (like the mink in the documentary who didn't seem to suffer uneccessarily) that would be one thing...

but the majority of fur comes from countries like China who have no conception of 'animal cruelty' as animals are just things to them...they inflict hideous suffering on the creatures for no reason at all, as you saw if you watched the doc.

Aaah, but then that is the cruel conditions that are wrong and should be banned (which I'd totally agree with). Perhaps there should be a licensing system, like for 'organic' or 'fairtrade' produce.

I still think its unethical and i will never buy it. But you and macduff present a compelling argument

Ta DD, and I do think that the way the fur is obtained is a massive issue, and undermines the 'Nowt wrong with fur' argument.

(lol - we gonna start a backslapping brotherhood? The girls will give us HELL!)

Archived