Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

Thing is my argument has a great big hole. I don\'t need to wear leather or eat beef, chicken or pork yet i\'m quite happy to do so.

You are right. Your argument has no logical flaws that I can see

And you are both honest and gracious in debate, not the most common of virtues in these parts, that‘s for sure!

As Fivetide says, the methods of production should be the issue, not the very ethic of wearing fur.

And you are both honest and gracious in debate, not the most common of virtues in these parts, that‘s for sure!

As Fivetide says, the methods of production should be the issue, not the very ethic of wearing fur.

Indeed. This appears to be one of those times when I have to re-assess what I thought and apply my new knowledge appropriately.

I would say yes, but as a leather wearing, animal bi-product consuming, meat eating carnivore then it would be a case of double standards. Who I am to say it should be banned if I do all the above. There is no difference killing an animal whether it be for its fur or its meat. As long as the animal is treat and killed in a humane way then fair enough, but I wouldnt wear fur. It looks rubbish :P

I have a beautiful musquash coat. I also have the receipt for it, dated 1938. It was left to me by my beloved godmother.

When it was made, nobody thought twice about raising and killing animals solely for fur. Nothing I can do can change the fact that the animals are dead, and refusing to wear it won't make any difference at all to the current market in furs. It's warm, feels wonderful, and saves me wasting resources on a new coat (my money and production costs). Moral high horses and sentimental piety are much in evidence in this thread. Try wearing a real fur coat for a few days in bitterly cold weather :-)

You should not compare China with our culture, you have to experience true poverty and famine to under stand what you will eat, in there culture the do not understand companionship from anaimals, so a dog and a cat is like you keeping a chicken in your house, i accept the opinion of cruelty from vegans and vegetarians they have made a choice and stand by it, but anyone who eats meat or wears leather or has leather sofa then its not for us to say what’s cruel in eating meat or wearing fur. Should Eskimos not wear fur because it’s not nice on seals. I eat a club with my tea every night. :hihi:

You should not compare China with our culture, you have to experience true poverty and famine to under stand what you will eat, in there culture the do not understand companionship from anaimals, so a dog and a cat is like you keeping a chicken in your house, i accept the opinion of cruelty from vegans and vegetarians they have made a choice and stand by it, but anyone who eats meat or wears leather or has leather sofa then its not for us to say what’s cruel in eating meat or wearing fur. Should Eskimos not wear fur because it’s not nice on seals. I eat a club with my tea every night. :hihi:

cheapcod, I have sympathy with the Chinese, I do- but they pulled the skin off a fox without killing it first. No practical or money-saving reason- they just did it 'cos they could. I'm sorry but that's not acceptable.

Archived