Real fur coats should they be banned?

should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. should real fur coats and other real fur items be banned?

• yes
    • no

Is the scale even that relevant? It's disgusting and totally unacceptable no matter how many animals it happens to!

I understand your point, and I must admit I find it disgusting. However, consider the facts behind what you are presented with.

A small fur producer in the middle of rural China where average wages are under $10 a month. A Western organisation turns up desperate to prove that skinning of live animals happens and offers them $50-$100 to prove their point. What do you think the employees would do? Take the moral high ground, or do it and earn the equivalent of thousands of pounds?

I'm very cynical of any appeal type video. They never present a balanced view - which merely cheapens their argument.

It's better to do something than nothing at all. I love the taste of meat too but I choose not to eat it. I don't have the need to eat it and see my enjoyment of it as a worthwhile sacrifice to make so that I can opt out of something I disapprove of (the slaughterhouse industry). Nobody suffers because of their abstinence from meat consumption.

I see that. But I would feel like a total and utter hypocrite if I was a vegetarian and not a vegan, and a vegan diet, to the best of my second hand knowledge, is very hard to sustain - in particular if you enjoy going out for meals. As far as I know Sheffield is not overburdened with vegan-friendly restaurants - isn't Kumquat Mae shutting/has shut?

Also, the thought of having to ask in every pub I go into if their wine is animal-product free, having to scour the internet for leather substitute shoes, avoiding all gelatine/glue based products, etc.. where would it end? By choosing one aspect of an ethical lifestyle, I'd soon have to realise that by buying my clothes from the high street I'm condoning a huge amount of human cruelty via sweatshops and the like, and it would spiral into a total life-dominating additional worry, to add to the ones I have already ;)

I would rather live with the guilt (and there is some residual guilt there) - just as I will live with the knowledge that abortion is the removal of life - because I passionately believe that abortion should remain available to those who need it.

Situational ethics, perhaps?

• 3 years later...

I have a massive collection of furs from rugs to coats, hats scarfs, gloves shoes... The list goes on and every piece in my collection is responsibly sourced and I know this because I have been involved with choosing the animals to make my garments to the design, I have seen the animals alive happy and well and seen they are happy until they are used to make my clothes, not all fur houses "skin animas alive" like some in china so what is the problem why is it any diffrent to wear leather than fur?

no because leather, gelatin, glue, meat are the result of the food industry were the whole of the animal is used the only reason we have real fur is for fashion no other part of the animal is used

It is said that if a creature can turn its belly to the sun the Chinese will eat it. I pretty much found that to be the case. Similarly the Inuits are happy to eat seals, reindeer and probably most any other creature they can lay their hands on. It rather blurs the dividing line just because your personal preference is not to eat the flesh of the animals you are prepared to wear.

I have a massive collection of furs from rugs to coats, hats scarfs, gloves shoes... The list goes on and every piece in my collection is responsibly sourced and I know this because I have been involved with choosing the animals to make my garments to the design, I have seen the animals alive happy and well and seen they are happy until they are used to make my clothes, not all fur houses "skin animas alive" like some in china so what is the problem why is it any diffrent to wear leather than fur?
I don't see a problem with ethically produced fur at all - I have more of a problem with artificial products made from oil derivatives which aren't sustainable

Joanna Lumley took her anti-fur attitude to the arctic circle and came home with a changed perspective. Fake just does not have the same insulating properties or durability as the genuine article

A 100 year old genuine fur will most likely still be wearable. A cheap copy will last one or two seasons before being landfill fodder

Archived