Where was the hippodrome in Sheffield

I recall that Cambridge Street and in particular, The Barleycorn used to be a popular venue for ladies of the night.

Yes but thats when we were older..They were a well worn lot. Not really ladies and night time had nothing to do with it..They worked all the opening hours..Still I catch your drift!!!

For some reason, I can't remember why as it was around 60 years ago, the Hippodrome was one of my favourite cinemas, the other one was The Palace, Union Street. I remember seeing "Calamity Jane" at the Hippodrome on a temporary screen propped up on one side of the stage and I have queued for hours outside often in the pouring rain. I saw the "house of wax" in 3D there in the 50's as well.

Th Palace was a comfortable venue but you had to be careful where you sat as there were supporting pillars for the balcony which obstructed the view. The showed the first cinemascope film there as well, "The Robe", an odd choice for cinemascope because of those pillars!!

I used to go to the Hippodrome quite a lot last film I saw was 'The Circus of Horrors'.

It used to have a sliding roof which could be pulled back to let fresh air in - vital in those days when just about everyone smoked!

...and folk only had a bath once a week and some less often than that :hihi:

I never went to the Hippodrome but did visit the Barleycorn occasionally, I recall most of the 'ladies' were old enough to be my mother ;)

The hippodrome was a wonderful old music hall, as was the Empire. They should have been preserved as another poster has commented. I seem to remember there was public disquiet when these places were torn down, but unfortunately, outrage would have been needed to save them from the wrecker's ball.

Left Sheffield many years ago but I remember The Hippodrome being where the Grosvenor House Hotel is now on Cambridge Street.

The 'Gods' were the cheapest seats - well, upholstered benches to be more accurate - and had a separate entrance in Wellington Street or Backfields.

As Pop T mentioned they were extremely steep and would never be allowed nowadays ( H&S! ) Saw Captain Blood (1935) there starring Errol Flynn & Olivia de Havilland and House of Wax in 3D.

Also recall a man selling bags of hot chestnuts from a barrow sited on waste land ( probably a bomb site ) at the bottom of Cambridge Street / Moorhead in the early 50's. " Delicious after a night at the flicks".

• 1 month later...
I recall that Cambridge Street and in particular, The Barleycorn used to be a popular venue for ladies of the night.
So was the Black Swan just up the street, otherwise known as the Mucky Duck. Queued up at the Hippo one Sunday Night while we were being entertained by a guy in a kilt walking up and down playing his bagpipes. Somebody let off a banger under him. Put him off his octave for a minute or two.:):)

I always thought Hippodrome was at the end of Wellington St at the T junction of Cambridge St, but actually on Wellington St itself. Saw all the Tommy Steele films there back in the late 50's/early60's. Loved the step-seating which I cant recall seeing anywhere else. Also spent most Saturdays at the Star Cinema on the corner of Ecclesall Rd and William St.