Arts Centre in Sheffield?

spit_the_dog

Who else thinks Sheffield should have an Arts Centre?

Having lived in Sheffield for 20 years I am amazed that a city of its size cannot facilitate an arts centre. A decent venue programming inspiring music,

theatre, comedy, dance, drama, poetry, a place for aspiring artists to exhibit and/or perform their work etc. Even Rotherham has an arts centre!!! Most cities and towns in the UK do. I can't think of any place in Sheffield that serves this purpose, maybe someplace exists but I just haven't heard about it?

The Leadmill used to programme some great music and dance in the eighties and early nineties as far as I remember.

he Peoples Community Center 2 Saville st The Wicker is currently in negotiations with the lottery fund and other bodies to create a 7 roomed venue, with rehersal rooms , recording studio offices cafe, etc to provide that exact facility there will be space for visual arts as well as well as conference facilities 1st stage opens 26/9/08 Shush Bar and Club Shush are the ist stages of a 7 stage process

Cheers IMAGE MATTERS

But then maybe Sheffield doesnt need an Arts Centre since being the city of arts it is already like one big art centre what with all the galleries, theatres, live music venues, the venues for famous gay artistic people, etc but then yes maybe there should be a centre for struggling artists of all sorts accessible in City centre - what building would be suitable? I know how about that big renovated building up the side street near Jumbo Chinese - is that really used much for community things at the moment? Can anyone suggest any other suitabel buildings in centre for an Arts Centre? (Somtimes as I have seen they can even be converted old churches!)

Archived