Bell Vue Zoo and Fair in Manchester. Does anyone remember it?

kirky

Back in the 1950s my Dad won £39 on the "pools" and took my mum, younger brother and me and my then girlfriend (later my wife) to Belle Vue for the day on the train, we did everything and also had a dinner. £39 in those days was a small fortune, it was a great day out.

I only went once, around 1967 give or take a year.

The only sideshow I remember was the woman living amongst wild rats.

I remember it because it was so poor. A cage, probably 5 or 6 ft square, with a single chair, and a totally bored teenage girl in a bikini, reading a magazine. There were about 3 or 4 equally bored pet white rats wandering around the cage.

We used to go to Belle Vue quite often,Ive old cine film of some of our days out there.

I went back sometime in the 80s when all the animals had gone and it had become a rundown funfair of sorts.

I had great memories but,I recall how poorly the animals were treated,people threw allsorts into the pens,and stubbed their fag ends out on the elephant that gave rides,the polar bear enclosure was full of litter floating in the water and some of the cages were very small.

• 4 years later...