Council tax bands, city centre flats

Can anyone living in new city centre developments tell me what council tax band they're in?

I've moved into a property which hasn't been banded yet (apparently this is done by a govt dept) but on ringing the council to enquire was told it would probably be band E which is about £1200 pa.

I used to have a V large 1930s semi just off Ecclesall Road which was only band C. So now that I have a glorified shoebox (though it is fab and suits me fine) cannot understand the logic.

And as council tax bands are based on the value of your property in 1991, surely as mine wasn't built then, and had no value, my council tax bill should be zero!!!!!!

Banding is done by the Valuation Office (part of the Inland Revenue). You can check out bandings from their website:

http://www.voa.gov.uk/council_tax/

If the property you want isn't banded yet it won't be there but try an address for something similar in the area and you'll get an idea. Unless you're looking at some luxury 3 bed penthouse I can't believe it will be band E.

Archived