See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I'd agree with that.  I could only see Snowdon from where I am on really good days, but now I can see it daily.

I thought that if you could see Snowdon it was going to rain and if you couldn't it was raining already.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to revive an old thread again.  However, I finished work at 3 am today and drove to this part of Ringinglow to watch the sun rise.  It's something I've wanted to do for ages.  Has anyone else been recently?

• 1 month later...

Hi 

We bought Stanage lodge in the early 1980 s  a relative of a previous owner told us there was a powerful telescope in the house and on clear days they would have the servants carry it to the top of hill 60 which  is in front of the house.    They said that it was  possible to see Scarboro harbour  and see the steam boats there. How true this was I have no idea,  however the cottages which were at the bottom of hill 60 were called ocean view so perhaps there was something in it. Unfortunatly the telescope was long gone when we bought the house.         

Even ignoring the curvature of the Earth, Scarborough harbour is below the moors hills and cliffs that stretch from Middlesboro to Filey.

The North Yorkshire Moors are visible behind York Minster.

The supporting towers of the Humber Bridge appear 'sunken' as does the easily visible by eye, Belmont TV transmitter (at night) on the Lincolnshire Wolds. 

Lincoln Cathedral should also be visible by telescope.

The three Power stations on the Aire and the two on the Trent are visible by eye.

19 hours ago, Annie Bynnol said:

Even ignoring the curvature of the Earth, Scarborough harbour is below the moors hills and cliffs that stretch from Middlesboro to Filey.

The North Yorkshire Moors are visible behind York Minster.

The supporting towers of the Humber Bridge appear 'sunken' as does the easily visible by eye, Belmont TV transmitter (at night) on the Lincolnshire Wolds. 

Lincoln Cathedral should also be visible by telescope.

The three Power stations on the Aire and the two on the Trent are visible by eye.

I always find it interesting that some people claim Lincoln Cathedral can be seen with the eye alone while others claim binoculars or a telescope is needed.

I’m 99% sure I managed to see it from Crich Stand on a cold January evening last year through 10x50 binoculars but I could not make it out by eye. That is from a distance of 41 miles, similar to the Ringinglow to Lincoln distance  but I’m aware the direction and aspect is different.

Strangest one ,a while back camped above Colywn Bay ,it was summer but crystal clear skies and looking northish over the sea could see an island.

It was starky clear and looked about 10 miles away ,which had me baffled.

I asked the farmer who said it was the Isle of Man and he had only ever seen it so clear in 20 odd years..

I think the real distance is about 30 miles but it was some rare optical thing it appeared so close.

21 hours ago, butlers said:

Strangest one ,a while back camped above Colywn Bay ,it was summer but crystal clear skies and looking northish over the sea could see an island.

It was starky clear and looked about 10 miles away ,which had me baffled.

I asked the farmer who said it was the Isle of Man and he had only ever seen it so clear in 20 odd years..

I think the real distance is about 30 miles but it was some rare optical thing it appeared so close.

That's about the same distance as the IOM to Southport.  There have been a couple of times I'm sure I've seen the shape shimmering.

Quite often we can see the lakeland hills, which are about 50 miles away:

0_blackpooljfif.jpg