See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

38 minutes ago, butlers said:

The wiki has the 3 remaining towers to be demolished 21 Aug this year

Just been reading about it. I believe the original plan was to retain those 3 cooling towers for the next station - guess the plan must’ve changed now.

3 hours ago, butlers said:

The wiki has the 3 remaining towers to be demolished 21 Aug this year

That Eggborough or Ferrybridge?

Edit: Just seen it's Ferrybridge, Eggborough has 4 left anyway. And it's 22nd August not 21st which makes sense as they usually do these demolitions on a Sunday morning for some reason.

Edited by Colin Foster

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was a clear day today so thought I'd have a walk up to the topograph at Ringinglow and resurrect this thread :). First shot is Lincoln Cathedral - can see quite a bit of detail, not bad from 43 miles away:

DSC01425-01

Second is of what remains of Ferrybridge. To my surprise you can see York Minster between the cooling towers, some 47 miles away (it's not marked on the topograph, I don't think). The other structure is Lowe Stand at Hoyland, and Skew Hill transmitter:

DSC01423-01

• Like 1

Top pics, thanks for posting.

I t would have been interesting to see if you could see the near pier of Humber bridge - I think that's over 50 miles from memory, and again marked on the plate (52 if the title of the attached image is correct). Apparently only the nearest of the two piers are visible I seem to remember reading somewhere. I found a picture of it here - I suspect a really good pair of binoculars are required, plus a bit of imagination.....

Humber Bridge view from Sheffield (52 miles distance) | Flickr

I suspect the conditions at the moment where it is cold (so no heat haze), and a gentle breeze to clear away any pollution makes the conditions about as good as they can be to get decent views. 

I've seen the Humber Bridge towers from up there before, but shows just how important the light is. Whilst it was good towards Lincoln and York, it was much cloudier over Hull and looked drizzly and I couldn't see them at all yesterday. I've photo'd them from Grenoside a few times though!

With the Naked Eye you can see the aircraft warning lights on Belmont transmitter 58 miles east of the viewpoint.

Look East for the tall lights on Manor Top and find Springs Academy just to the left.

Slightly left again and you will see the lit up twin towers of West Burton PS on the Trent.

Slightly left again you will the taller fainter red warning light on Belmont.

If you see a single chimney you are too far left (south) and looking at Cottam PS.