See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

17 hours ago, supersonic said:

I took one shot of West Burton - are those buildings at in the foreground at Manor Top?

Yes,  its Springs Academy between East Bank Road and Hurlfield Road

At night the twin chimneys have red warning lights.

Behind would be the the taller but fainter(twinklier?) lights on Belmont transmitter(58 miles).

Your excellent picture of York Minster includes an example of a mirage.

The guide ropes of the transmitter and the power cables are only inches in diameter so at that distance would be visible or silvery if reflecting light.

Apparently when the cables are cooler/hotter than the surrounding air, a layer of less/more dense air results. This creates a 'lens' which refracts the light coming from behind so making the background immediately behind the cables look darker. So you don't actually see the cables-just the effect of hotter/colder air.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Interesting stuff regarding the stays. I've never managed to photo Belmont, though I have got a shot of Bilsldale, albeit this is from Barnsley - you can see the white horse at Kilburn too:

DSC00551-1-02

Humber Bridge from Grenoside:

paulspics2 005-01-01

The Minster again from Grenoside:

DSC01089-01

Brilliant pictures thanks for posting! The York Minster photos are very impressive.

I got a few photos of Lincoln Cathedral and several power stations from the top of Crich memorial tower a few months back, couldn’t find the Humber Bridge though.

Can anyone confirm whether the Kilburn White Horse can be seen from the viewpoint at Ringinglow or anywhere around Sheffield?

Woodhead Road at Grenoside, near Rainbow Kennels is a great spot. As butlers says, the white horse can be seen from there but again you need really good conditions. The horse itself has deteriorated somewhat as the limestone discolours - they refresh it periodically which makes it an easier spot. 

I've also got shots of some of the summits in the Dales from there, as well as other structures at York, such as the grandstand at York Racecourse and the tower at Terry's chocolate factory. I'll try and dig them out :)

22 minutes ago, supersonic said:

Woodhead Road at Grenoside, near Rainbow Kennels is a great spot. As butlers says, the white horse can be seen from there but again you need really good conditions. The horse itself has deteriorated somewhat as the limestone discolours - they refresh it periodically which makes it an easier spot. 

I've also got shots of some of the summits in the Dales from there, as well as other structures at York, such as the grandstand at York Racecourse and the tower at Terry's chocolate factory. I'll try and dig them out :)

Ahh thanks, this is a subject which continues to interest me.

Yeah would be cool if you could get them shots up! Has anyone got any shots of Drax from Sheffield? I imagine it’s layout of cooling towers and massive chimney means it would look quite imposing.. despite being a fair distance away.