See for miles from from Ringinglow / Hallam

15 minutes ago, supersonic said:

This is Drax from Woodhead Rd, though I think I've got better pics somewhere:

DSC01103-01-01

Cheers 👍

4 minutes ago, butlers said:

The fields at top of St Helena also have a ridiculous field of vision to the east too.

Think in the olden days there were 5 power stations to be seen

Yeah sounds about right - very different now most of Ferrybridge & Eggborough are gone.

Thorpe Marsh on the Don and High Marnham on the Trent are long gone and Cottam will soon follow I imagine.

Where about’s is St Helena?

10 minutes ago, butlers said:

It's the formerly unpaved farm track that runs uphill from the midpoint on Topside.

Was our favourite sledging hill.

Mind you we were not short of choice up there

Thanks 

10 minutes ago, supersonic said:

This has one I took a couple of years back of York:

FB_IMG_1543263214910-01-01

1 is the hospital. 2 the Minster. 6 the Racecourse stands, 7 the chocolate factory and 8 the chimney of the old Foss Island power station.

Impressive photograph thanks for sharing that. The hills behind the Minster must be a fair distance away I imagine.

Not local...

A while back camping at a farm site above Colwyn Bay, maybe 500ft ish.

Day of exceptional clarity and could plainly see a large island what looked like 20 miles away.

Turns out it was the Isle of Man much much further away.

The farmer said he had only ever seen it a couple if times ever.

10 minutes ago, supersonic said:

North Yorkshire Moors, about 65 miles away.

Ah right I did wonder if it was the NYM, amazing how far away you can see from a high vantage point.

Near me several of the Shropshire hills (the Wrekin, Long Mynd, Clee Hills etc) can be seen on any clear day.

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Edited by LW950

3 minutes ago, LW950 said:

Maybe a long shot, but is it possible to see Ratcliffe on Soar power station from Ringinglow or Grenoside? It’s chimney is 200m tall but it sits a good distance away from Sheffield.

Ah, interesting you should say that! I think the top of the chimney is from some spots in Sheffield, the line of sight adds up so just need to drag the camera out on a clear day :)

FYI, I use a Sony DSC400 with 63x optical zoom.