Cycle shop on langsett road years ago

I still have a Langsett sports cycle with the Sheffield coat of arms on it.

The Smith's owned the shop for years and their son designed racing cycles for customers worldwide.

As a lad I worked with a Bill Smith who was related to them and worked for them in their shop, he also used to race for them on bikes with cane rims.

That wasn't yesterday, there's been a few wars since then!

Along with Henry Holmes on Attercliffe Common and Albert Butterworth on Abbeydale Road. Can you remember Neville Taylor, the Olympic cyclist who made his own bike frames and sold them under the name Rolyat ?

The name Taylor,' rings a bell '. Did he live or work down the Page Hall area or did he have a shop on the left side of City Road Granville Road, near Manor Lane?

Can anyone remember what happened to Wes Mason?.

I can remember peddling like mad whilst coming up the hill from Dronfield to Meadow Head.

He past me, faster than if I had been going it!!

I still have a Langsett sports cycle with the Sheffield coat of arms on it.

The Smith's owned the shop for years and their son designed racing cycles for customers worldwide.

As a lad I worked with a Bill Smith who was related to them and worked for them in their shop, he also used to race for them on bikes with cane rims.

That wasn't yesterday, there's been a few wars since then!

First - My apologies for not meeting you. I hope to see you next time round.

I never understood the Smith's connection. I have always assumed that they were the owners of the block of shops. Where does the Smith's Industries fit in? or does it?

Can you remember Percy Picker who owned the Carpet shop?

• 4 months later...

I had a Beldam tandem which I got from a fellow Sheffield Sports CC member in about 1955.I remember it had an early form of centrepull brakes made by Beldam, and a 3 speed hub gear.I used to ride it on clubrides with Don Anderson.

On my way home from King Teds school I used to call in at Henry Holmes shop on Sharrow vale Rd and lace up a pair of wheels for Henry to finish.I got paid 6d for this , but learnt a lot about bke maintenance.

I also emember Nev Taylor.He was the first British cyclist I saw wearing a spare tubular tyre looped round his shoulder in the continental fashion.

• 2 months later...

Langsett Industries was the name of the company that made Sheffield Langsett Cycles and I believe they were made in the Globe works on Penistone Rd they also made stainless sinks and other products.their bikes were excellent quality.I spent hours in Arthur Cawdrens shop I think in his last years he lived on the Langsett estate.Bert beech was something of an excentric always humming the same tune when you went in his shop,he had all foreign coins nailed to the counter.Sadly he committed suicide in his shop at the top of Catch Bar Lane.

Archived