Wheelie bins and maggots

This is weird, my binmen collect weekly, but theres hardly ever anything in the bin, so it only ever gets put out weekly.

Most of the ime we put it out every2-3 weeks, has been left 4 before.

Have never seen any maggots....i may have to start taking it out every week regardless now!

• 3 years later...

i have them in my bin, i feel sick, tried everything, they are crawling all over the wheely bin, i can see them......i wont sleep tonight, im all itchy now. What do i do???tried hot mater etc never in my life have i had maggots in my bins before

i have them in my bin, i feel sick, tried everything, they are crawling all over the wheely bin, i can see them......i wont sleep tonight, im all itchy now. What do i do???tried hot mater etc never in my life have i had maggots in my bins before

Pour some ammonia in.

I put all waste food in bags with the top tied and have never had a maggot problem.

Seems logical to me. Who in their right mind just scrapes waste food directly into a bin without bagging it somehow first? If that's what you do, then that's why you've got maggots.

The cure is to have it cleaned and disinfected, then any foodstuff that's put in there, make sure it's bagged and the problem will go away!

Archived