Overweight people on air flights

Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance

• Allowance should include passenger and lugage
    • Allowance should ignore the weight of passengers

I'm overweight, but I agree that there should be something taken into account because of extra fuel etc. I can't see how it could be implemented without discrimination or embarrassment though. Imagine the extra cost if the plane was full of large people and no skinny ones!

I'm overweight, but I agree that there should be something taken into account because of extra fuel etc. I can't see how it could be implemented without discrimination or embarrassment though. Imagine the extra cost if the plane was full of large people and no skinny ones!

Cost isn't the issue..it's whether the plane is capable of building up enough speed to get in the air. :hihi:

• 10 months later...

They weigh luggage and charge you if your over the limit. Maybe they should measure your height and give you a combined limit for passenger + luggage. Say BMI = 25, then the average weight for a man/woman of that size + luggage allowance. They could weigh you when you go through security. Weighing scales bang after/before the metal detectors, computerised so any monkey could use them. It would save you having to go get the luggage weighed elsewhere and any weight discrepancy could be passed off as heavy luggage. Slap a ticket on the luggage, wander through and pop your luggage on conveyor belt, go to your plane, then your off.

The bbc website had an article about encouraging a healthy weight could save society money in the long term. Could maybe shorten the waiting times at airports too.

I have just heard that Emirates Airline is reducing the weight of its onflight magazine to reduce weight.

They claim that by halving the weight of the magazine they will save 685 tonnes of fuel per plane per year. This represents a fuel saving of $500 million per annum for a small airline like Emirates.

The figures appear astonishing as the magazine cannot weigh a great deal in the first place. However it just shows that airlines are getting more concious of weight savings.

Recently I fell foul of bagage allowance. Flying as a couple with one case we were forced to pay excess bagage even though we were well below the combined individual bagage allowance. It wasn't cheap either and was particularly galling when some people on the flight were obviosly heavier than our combined weight plus all our lugage.

If weight is such an issue then why aren't passengers weighed before takeoff and charged accordingly?

It must be an increasing danger that a plane cannot get off the ground because of the weight of the passengers, yet I am unaware that any attempt is made to establish this aspect of takeoff weight.

Cabin luggage and hold luggage is the only weights that airlines use to end up with a gross weight, having to weight all passengers would be a complete waste ot time, after weighing people, would they have to reduce their hold luggage and even strip off to meet some sort of total weight allowance.

My wife and myselk have travelled with one suit case which was over the individual allowance but we have never been penalised.

• 3 months later...

Archived