Overweight people on air flights

Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance

• Allowance should include passenger and lugage
    • Allowance should ignore the weight of passengers

All this thread is about is a few silly people fretting that somebody might somehow be getting something that they aren't.

Or, people suggesting that the reason we go on planes is to move mass - us and our stuff - from one place to another.

If I want to move 200kg of mass of which only 85kg is me, I have to pay an awful lot in 'excess baggage', but if another passenger wants to move 200kg, of which 190kg is them, it costs nothing over the ticket price.

How about we charge extra for:

Fat people.

People with Noisey Kids.

Pregnant people (all sorts of risks)

Old people (again risks)

Ill people

Disabled people

People who smell.

If the airlines were to start charging based on peoples circumstances where would it end?

At the end of the day you are paying for a seat, if you cant fit in 1 seat you pay for 2.

How about we charge extra for:

Fat people.

People with Noisey Kids.

Pregnant people (all sorts of risks)

Old people (again risks)

Ill people

Disabled people

People who smell.

If the airlines were to start charging based on peoples circumstances where would it end?

At the end of the day you are paying for a seat, if you cant fit in 1 seat you pay for 2.

Don't forget the people who press the attendant button. Or those who use more than the average amount of time at check in. Aircraft cost a fortune to supply with water and clean and anyone who brings muck on on their shoes might consider paying more towards cleaning. Leave the in-flight magazines alone because they need replacing and I don't see why I should pay to watch stuff on screen when I have my book.

Finally, I have an especially efficient lungs so I expect everyone who doesn't else to pay more for the expensive air that they are breathing.

Those rotten fatties eh? What a can of worms they have opened up.

In extreme examples where somebody needs two seats then I absolutely agree with you. Those two seats are also then calculated as two pax. It's not a difficult situation and it is exactly what happens at the moment. Is that a problem?

I think the biggest problem is when someone needs 1 1/2 seats and takes half of yours as well as their own. As someone who crosses the Atlantic frequently, I can tell you that 9 hours of being crushed is not a pleasant experience.

Fat people should be charged more, and offloaded if the plane is heavy.

An aircraft has already crashed, resulting in the death of 21 people. A contributing factor was the amount of overweight people causing a shift in the centre of gravity.

I think the biggest problem is when someone needs 1 1/2 seats and takes half of yours as well as their own. As someone who crosses the Atlantic frequently, I can tell you that 9 hours of being crushed is not a pleasant experience.

I had that on a National Express once. He wasn't the most hygenic chap either. Lovely

Well, not just fatties.

Would this rule also apply to bodybuilders, or elite sportsmen such as Rugby player who are 18 stone of finely sculpted muscle?

What about if you were just born huge, like Robert Wadlow?

There are very few body builders or rugby players who would need two seats.

Archived