Overweight people on air flights

Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance

• Allowance should include passenger and lugage
    • Allowance should ignore the weight of passengers

Please post details.

How did the centre of gravity shift if the people were sitting down?

This was from another topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul2412

It's a valid point, and fat people actually caused a crash in the USA some years back. The pilots take into account an average weight for the passengers and on this particular flight it was full with many people being overweight.

The plane stalled on take off due to excess weight.

I remember seeing the programme about this crash and the reason it crashed was because the change in peoples average weight had not been taken into account.

Cause(s)

NTSB investigations found there had been substantially inaccurate weight and balance calculations for company airplanes, resulting in loss of pitch control during take-off.

http://www.natgeochannel.co.uk/progr...charlotte-2003

• 2 months later...
You're VERY brave!:o

i honestly think this is awesome half of me is wondering how you havnt been shot yet the other half is laughing so hard iv been told off by my boss at work but all jokes aside its a very valid point that she has i went to france snowboarding and i slightly over packed my board bag i think is was somthing like 0.3 gramms notsure but fat people should get charge that little bit more because they are twice the size of a normal human mass plus then concidering ther lugage big trosers ???? :hihi::suspect:

This was from another topic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul2412

It's a valid point, and fat people actually caused a crash in the USA some years back. The pilots take into account an average weight for the passengers and on this particular flight it was full with many people being overweight.

The plane stalled on take off due to excess weight.

I remember seeing the programme about this crash and the reason it crashed was because the change in peoples average weight had not been taken into account.

Cause(s)

NTSB investigations found there had been substantially inaccurate weight and balance calculations for company airplanes, resulting in loss of pitch control during take-off.

http://www.natgeochannel.co.uk/progr...charlotte-2003

Except that isn't true. The a/c ran out of elevator control authority due to being rigged incorrectly during maintenance. The incorrect (but legal and standard procedure) W&B calculation was a contributory but not a principle cause.

The figures appear astonishing as the magazine cannot weigh a great deal in the first place. However it just shows that airlines are getting more concious of weight savings.
Just doing a simple bit of calculating shows that the weight saving would be actually quite considerable considering that the magazine is a 200+ page glossy with the weight that would equal something along the lines of FHM or Vogue.

http://www.motivatepublishing.com/mediakits/article.asp?ArticleCode=ART00510

Spread that across the fleet of 137 commercial passenger jets Emirates fly of various types and configurations [source:wikipedia] they would need nearly 6000 magazines, one for each seat. I don't know about you but i would struggle to pick up more than 40-50 boxed glossy mags of that size (used to do so in my youth in a Saturday job) Considering what i know if their weight i would guess around 50 glossy magazines would equal the weight of your average person. Another bit of maths would reveal that a total of 6000 magazines would at a very rough estimate equal the weight of around 150 people. And that's only accounting for one single flight of each aircraft. You could further multiply the total haulage weight by the few hundred flights each aircraft operates within a year to find out how much the airline carries in extra weight from the magazines per annum but now knowing that figure i cannot go that far. I sure you're able to work out the figure would equal a considerable amount of weight however....

</nerd>

Archived