Overweight people on air flights

Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance  

173 members have voted

1. 1. Should passenger weight be included in bagage allowance

• Allowance should include passenger and lugage
    • Allowance should ignore the weight of passengers

If people are prepared to pay extra for a comfy seat (or at least one you can get into) then you would think they would have more of them, and make more money.

The seats next to the exits obviously have more leg room and you can book them in advance as we did on our last holiday but the extra cost wouldn’t cover the loss of rows if that amount of leg room was provided for all seats.

Now, what about women who are pregnant? Do we need to start charging the baba's dadda for some of the excess weight, as it takes two to tango? And post-pregnancy, when most women still have some baby weight and enormous boobs, do we need to start thinking about setting up direct debit accounts for the baba in whose honour those boobs have filled out?

:)

Now, what about women who are pregnant? Do we need to start charging the baba's dadda for some of the excess weight, as it takes two to tango? And post-pregnancy, when most women still have some baby weight and enormous boobs, do we need to start thinking about setting up direct debit accounts for the baba in whose honour those boobs have filled out?

Flying isn't advised if you are heavily pregnant, is it?

Use BMI baby :thumbsup:

(oh dear :rolleyes:..:hihi:)

Well I do know you can fly up until 32-36 weeks to Ireland on Aer Lingus with a Doctor's note, so....

By 36 weeks the baby will weigh 6lbs and the placenta about 1lb - so you might weigh a stone more than usual.

I guess for a lot of people who are a healthy weight that would mean they could easily get within my suggested 120kg limit (average weight of a woman in the UK is 65kg apparently, so an extra stone (6.5kg) still leaves 48kg for luggage, which is more than most people could carry!)

If the woman in question weighs more, why shouldn't she pay towards the extra cost of moving her?

Or why not go to the other extreme and pile on the pounds? Then you can rest easy in the knowledge that you're getting the same value for money as the other more corpulent passengers you fly with.

some really good points on both sides but this post had me chuckling for ages :hihi: :hihi:

You could argue that tall people are already discriminated against by having to pay extra to have enough legroom - it's a similar principle, isn't it? I'm 5'9" so no giant, but taller than average for a woman and I have long legs. Flights any longer that a couple of hours are extremely uncomfortable for me if I don't have an aisle seat, and I have male friends who are 6' 2" + and they say the same thing.

Similarly, you could argue that fat people are already discriminated against by the fact that the seats aren't designed for overweight people to be comfortable in - if you're obese, a four hour flight squeezed into an unyielding seat, unable to put the tray down properly because there's no room, knowing you're encroaching on the person next to you, must be pretty unpleasant I would have thought, yet they've paid the same as slimmer customers who are in relative comfort.

The point is, you can find discrimination wherever you look for it, and there'll always be people more interested in making sure no-one else has a 'better deal' than them than just minding their own business.

Archived